Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15615 Discussions

i9-12900KS extremely hot and EDP throttling

Elia1995
Beginner
I recently upgraded my PC to an i9-12900KS and I tried two different liquid coolers on it, but with both of them (the former being a 240mm with 2 fans and the second a 360mm with 3 fans), the CPU spikes to over 90 degrees under full 100% load.
With the 240mm AIO, it spikes straight to 100 degrees in a second, with the 360mm one, it spikes to about 95-97 but never reaches 100.

At this point I don't know anymore what to try to further improve the cooling of this CPU... Furthermore, XTU doesn't show that it's thermal throttling since I switched to this 360mm AIO, but it does show a constant current/EDP throttling and idk how to solve that.

Since I dual boot Linux and Windows, I checked and the temperatures are a tiny bit better on Arch and Garuda, with the highest spike of 95 degrees, not a huge difference than Windows 11 anyway.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Elia1995,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. How long does the temperature spike last?

2. Can you take a picture of the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)? Is there where you are seeing the high temperatures? If not, which app?

3. What is the brand and model name of your motherboard?

4. Did you have any issues with the previous processor (before i9-12900KS)? What was the brand and model name?

5. Are you overclocking the Processor or using Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP)?

6. Are you getting any "Blue screen of death" or crashes?

7. Are you getting these temperatures on idle or after performing a specific task? If it is due to a specific task, which task/app/game is it?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Elia1995
Beginner

Hello, to make it easy to read, I'll try my best to answer to all your points in their order.

1. The temp spike lasts while the usage is at 100%, so if for example a render is taking 10 seconds, it'll last 10 seconds with that high temp, everytime I run a Cinebench it lasts the whole duration of the test, and when I render on Blender using cycles it stays above 90°C while rendering.
  2. Sure, here you go, here's a screenshot of Core Temp while the CPU is idle and when it's under 100% load, after formatting I currently don't have XTU installed, but I can provide a screenshot of it later:                           idle tempsidle temps100% load temps100% load temps
  3. The motherboard is an ASUS PRIME H670-PLUS D4, but in the future I wanna upgrade to DDR5 with this same CPU
  4. Ehhh I had like an endless amount of issues with the previous CPU (AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X), 4 years of random freezing, it would freeze with C-States enabled, it would freeze if I overclocked it even tho AMD advertised it as an "overclockable" CPU, it would randomly freeze for no reason while I was streaming on Twitch or even just playing with my friends on Discord, then in the last period, before it finally died, it used to take like over 30 minutes before the PC would even POST, it always had less than half the FPS than even an i7-10700F could produce, comparing it side by side with a friend, random blue and green screens of death, then one night it completely died, giving error "0d" on the motherboard, which neither me or my friends ever figured out what it meant... and then I ordered this i9-12900KS and finally switched back to Intel forever, after all, besides the extreme temps, this i9 hasn't frozen even once or ever given me a single bsod since I got it, it's basically perfect!
  5. I'd like to overclock it, but I ain't been able to do so yet due to these temperatures on stock voltage, I also tried to downvolt it a bit, but not much changed...  also, yes, I'm using XMP for the memory, if that could be useful.
  6. As I said before, this CPU is rock solid, hasn't given me a single green or blue screen of death yet (and I really hope it stays like that)
  7. I'm getting these temperatures only when the CPU is rendering or it's being used at 100% (for example if I make a VM and assign all 16 cores to it, which obviously I wouldn't do). When it's idling or under "normal usage", it seems to be staying in a range between 38 and 75 degrees, with the average of 41-45 (I monitor it the whole time, keeping Core Temp's tray icons in the taskbar)

I hope this can satisfy your questions, I'll install XTU and provide a screenshot of it (which is where I see the EDP throttling) as soon as I'll be able to, thank you!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Elia1995, 

Thanks for the information provided. To proceed with the support, I would like you to try the following:

1. Set your BIOS to default settings (no downvolt).

2. Make sure that the Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) runs the RAM at 3200MHz or less. Above that may damage the CPU in the future.

3. Check with ASUS to confirm that you are running the latest BIOS version (1620).

4. If possible, re0apply the thermal paste on your processor.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Elia1995,  

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Elia1995,   

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

I also recommend you check this behavior with ASUS to confirm if there are any settings in the BIOS that can help reduce the processor temperatures.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos