Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15553 Discussions

i9-13900HX Voltage Spiking

erengfb1208
Novice

I have an hp gaming laptop with 13900HX in it and I experience voltage drops nearly to 0V I guess I've seen 0.01 V through hp gaming app. I've tried undervolting which U can see here but it didn't matter. My product site tells me everything is up to date.image_2024-07-08_075024224.png

0 Kudos
29 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Erengfb1208,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

May I know when the issue started? And was the system working fine before?

Furthermore, have you made any changes before the issue occurred?

And for additional information, may we have the complete model of your system?

By the way, the above questions will help us better isolate the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
erengfb1208
Novice

I haven't made a significant change before the problem occured. Everything I did was I guess just changing the power mode through windows and HP's own software omen gaming hub. Also as model of my pc it is "7P6D3EA#AB8" from HP Omen series. I have the problem nearly since I got my hands on this pc.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Erengfb1208,

Thank you so much for the response.

Please try to update your BIOS if it isn't already updated, and if the issue persists, please share your XTU with us, since I will raise the case with our engineers for further investigation.

By the way, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

erengfb1208
Novice

My bios is already updated so here is my xtu profile and log. My profile was default but I made a slight undervolt which is 0.13V and everything else is default.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Erengfb1208,

We would like to know if you have any questions regarding the recommendation that we have provided.

If so, kindly inform me, as we would be glad to assist you. 

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Erengfb1208,

Thank you so much for the update.

I will now raise the case with our engineers for further investigation and get back to you as soon as I have their update.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Erengfb1208,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting on our response.

To further investigate the issue, kindly provide the following details:

1. Which application is being used to monitor the voltage?

2. Is it possible that you can share with us the SSU logs of your computer? This will help us thoroughly check the system configuration, as the model provided appears to be the motherboard rather than the exact model of the computer.

3. Are the voltage drops occurring during gaming?

4. Can you use Intel XTU to monitor the performance?

5. Have you reached out to HP regarding this matter?

We look forward to your response!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
erengfb1208
Novice

For the first question HP's own "omen gaming hub" was used to monitor the Voltage. I added the SSU scan to this reply. As of question 3 I haven't checked my voltages during games but sometimes I face unexpected fps drops maybe the voltages is the issue. I haven't reached out to HP yet but I will send this pc to service in about a week. Thanks for your time.

ACarmona_Intel

Hello Erengfb1208,

Thank you so much for the quick response and for providing the information that we have requested.

We will further investigate the issue and get back to you once the answer is available.

Again, thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
CoolBook
New Contributor I

I suppose you mean drops and not spikes?

Mobile CPUs run at very low voltages when operating at low frequencies. This is a good thing since it saves power and battery.

The computer would instantly crash if the CPU voltage got too low.

Dropped frames in games could be caused by high temperatures or aggressive power profiles, forcing the CPU and/or GPU to run slower.

Otherwise the computer might just not be as powerful as needed to run the specific game at the desired graphics setting.

0 Kudos
erengfb1208
Novice

Yes I meant drops but I think it drops way too agressive as I said I've seen 0.01V in performance monitor. And I think this pc should handle League of Legends at 240 fps at all times but I sometimes see it drops to 160's.

0 Kudos
CoolBook
New Contributor I

There would be no performance monitor app running at a voltage of 0.01V
That is definitely a bug or something.
I wouldn't care that much about low voltage readings, because it is more or less irrelevant for your actual issue of poor gaming performance.

- What are your CPU and GPU temperatures?

- Do you get inconsistent performance?

0 Kudos
erengfb1208
Novice

My CPU and GPU temperatures are about 60° Celcius CPU and 53° Celcius GPU when idle. When I'm just using browser it goes up top 75-80° Celcius CPU and 60° Celcius GPU which I think is a bit much. And when I try gaming they go up by 5-10° Celcius. And yes I get inconsistent performance but I don't know if its from temperatures or voltages.

0 Kudos
CoolBook
New Contributor I

@erengfb1208 

There is no such thing as performance inconsistency caused by voltage. Don't worry about that.

It looks like you are close to the throttling limits?

Can you run HWinfo in the background while gaming to see if throttling is triggered?

0 Kudos
erengfb1208
Novice

I didn't know that thanks. I will try running HWinfo while gaming and will send the result here.

0 Kudos
CoolBook
New Contributor I

@erengfb1208 

Keep the sensors window open and you can see the maximum values when you close down the game.

0 Kudos
erengfb1208
Novice

sorry for late reply. Here is my log.

0 Kudos
CoolBook
New Contributor I

It looks like the CPU is reaching max temperatures.

Do you see if throttling occurred?

CoolBook_0-1722151543280.png

I'm not sure if you can adjust those CPU settings in BIOS or ThrottleStop?

Perhaps increasing fan speed using Fan Control?

0 Kudos
erengfb1208
Novice

Yes, throttling warning shows up nearly all the time. I am not sure which cpu settings you want me to change can u help me with that but yes I can change it from XTU or ThrottleStop. I can't increase fan speed by Fan control in this omen laptop but I can use it's mandatory software gaming hub. I didn't maxed out fans during testing and just went by auto settings.

0 Kudos
CoolBook
New Contributor I

I don't have a laptop, but try lowering maximum core ratios and/or power limits.

0 Kudos