New Contributor I

Hi,

I built a setup in April 2023 with :

- Intel Core i9-13900K

- Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero

- 2x32 GB Corsair Vengeance 6600 MHz

- Asus ROG 4090

- Asus ROG Thor 850 Watts

From the very beginning, I had sometimes BSODs, and several apps/games crashing very "reliably".

Even though the PC: 

- Not overclocked (no XMP, so RAM is running at 4800 MHz)

- No Tweaks of any sort in the Bios / default values from Asus Bios.

- Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621

- Windows / Drivers / Bios are up to date with latest versions as of today.

The tests :

- Prime95 : with smallest and small FFT (to only test CPU and CPU cache) -> gives FATAL ERROR (prime numbers errors) on some CPU cores after a few minutes. 

- Cinebench R23 in single core : no problem, no crash during the 10min run

- Cinebench R23 in multi-core : crashes after 2 to 30 seconds systematically.

- GPU tests are fine, they complete with no crash (Furmark)

- Memtest86 : did several runs on the mem at 4800 and 6600 -> no errors, all tests PASS.

- a few games such as Cyberpunk 2077, Horizon Zero Dawn : almost systematically crash when launched.

A couple of days ago, I realized that it's probably the CPU

- I use an app for 3D Printing called a "slicer" who prepares the file for 3D printing that would consistently crash on my Windows 11 setup during slicing (after 5 to 10 seconds max), but not on a virtual machine installed with VirtualBox (Windows 10)

- Somebody advised me to try to set the Affinity for the CPU Cores/Threads in Windows 11.

- Also, I found a lot of reports in forums/reddit about problems with i9-13900K...

Since then, when I set the Affinity of the apps for only a few cores:

- Bambu Studio slicing fine, no crash whatsoever if affinity set to 8 first (CPU0 to CPU7)

- Cyberpunk 2077, Horizon Zero Dawn : they both run fine when affinity set to 8 first (CPU0 to CPU7), but crash as soon as I change affinity back to all cores/threads.

- Cinebench multi-core : systematically crashes no matter what subset of cores/threads I set.

Weirdly enough, I tried the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool: it always passes, but I don't trust its results, since I've so many other apps/games crashing, and reports by people on the web...

So, I need help please with that, I can't trust my CPU even though I need my PC for work every day...

Intel SSU report attached.

146 Replies
LoloWiwi
New Contributor I

Hi @Alberto_R_Intel , @DeividA_Intel ,

Any news, please ?

It's now driving me nuts...

In BIOS, I've set : 

- SVID Behavior = Intel Fail Safe

- MultiCore Enhancement = disabled

- No XMP (RAM DDR5 is now running at 4800 MHz)

And now, for the last 4 days, my Chrome is crashing randomly, I've had a few Windows BSODs.

Again : if I set affinity to UC0 to UC7 for Chrome processes, it is stable --> I want to kill my i9-13900K.

What else do I need to provide to be granted the privilege to RMA it

Intel CPUs have a 3 years warranty and I bought it in April 2023 (7 months ago)...

0 Kudos
KCLam
Novice

I've been constantly checking posts here to check for updates. In a recent post regarding 13900k faulty core, intel staff tells the op to contact for RMA after a few discussions, and tells another op to email contact them in another post. I'd say they should be aware of the issue now. However, this post may be marked as closed by them so no more intel guy's attention. Maybe you should try direct RMA to catch their attention.

For now, I do recommand to use the free version of Process Lasso and set affinity rule to find the specific faulty core and ban it for good. (the process match in setting affinities uses Regular Expression, so a process match of * or *.* may apply the affinity to every single process to prevent any use of that core.)

KCLam_0-1698332128565.png

Edit: I previosly only set affinities to heavily used applications instead of every tasks, I tried after I posted this, and it keep reporting error setting affinity to system tasks like svchost.exe (error log keeps logging). You may wish to only apply for the applications you commonly use, in that case Task Manager could be enough (I don't know if Task Manager is setting it permentantly, but Process Lasso does set it permentantly until rule being removed.) That makes my computer run without crashes eversince.

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II
Intel is keeping their mouth shut because if this comes out their share prices will go down? They are well aware of the issue, but here just deferring you and me without any real updates just to frustrate us I believe! They have no intention of helping, just trying to keep us shut or keep us waiting infinitely.

A simple google search says that history of such issues started right after the processor got launched. Intel never said or accepted that some of the processors are faulty. They are just just bought time till the new 14900k is launched, and yea they are successful in that.

How did you purchase your processor btw? Through online or through a vendor?
0 Kudos
KCLam
Novice

Mine was a boxed i9-13900k bought from a local retailer in Hong Kong. I dialed my retailer eariler after I found out about the issue of #4, beacuse I bought every part of the computer from them, I can get maintenance from them. They asked me to bring the whole computer to them for problem shooting. I definitely don't want to do that because I know where the problem is so bring the whole machine in is kind of waste of time (imagine they have to keep it for days for checking) and money (transportation fee), and they may not even find out the cause and might just give some common suggestion like reinstalling my system, blablabla.

They said I could contact official distributor of intel cpus in Hong Kong if I already know the problem is with the CPU. So I keep waiting to see how did intel progressed their interal research about this issue, and go to RMA with a more concrete evidence. Otherwise, I doubt if I can convince them this is a CPU's problem.

And I do understand that CPU is a very complex thing that Intel might not even locate the problem, and it is normal that their mouths keep shutted given that they have no direct proof of whether there might be a faulty core in 13900k/ks (since even we are not always having the issue, just occasionally). But it is still annoying and took me so much time to locate the problem, they could have disclosed more investigation progresses.

The best we can get might be just a full refund (hopefully, so I can go for a 14900k, or anything but another potentially faulty 13900k ) 

sibidharan
New Contributor II

My vendor said novice troubleshooting steps, me being an engineer did more than that already, he wanted to check the PC, I gave him all the proofs, but I showed him the intel community forum is flooding with these issues and showed every proof I could find in the internet that this is a faulty processor, he agreed to replace it with a 14900k and I paid the difference. See if it works for you! Best of luck.

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II
Yes, intel keeping their mouth shut and not disclosing any research progress or count on how many processors gone faulty. We are not important, they think they can cover this up! Yeah see 14900k is in the market. If this booms, it may affect the sale. They will obviously defer us and keep us hanging like the faulty core not responding! These people are the manifestation of 13900k itself
0 Kudos
LoloWiwi
New Contributor I

Hi @sibidharan ,

I bought it on Amazon 7 months ago, and it took me a long time to narrow down my instability issues to the CPU itself (a lot of tests on everything on the PC, RAM, MB, ..., as you know ;)).

So, it's well over the 30 days free return...

Now, for your point about Intel policy, I won't say anything, I don't have enough info/proofs.

What I know and that strongly bothers me is:

- Intel is asking to test the CPU with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool

- IPDT runs for only 3 to 4 minutes before saying "PASS" -> for Intel, the CPU is fine.

- But there is no way on Earth a 4 minutes test can reliably test a CPU.

- A "PASS" stress test result should be considered incomplete, to say the least, or even dodgy... 

- Prime95 (the CPU stress test reference in the community) systematically returns "FATAL ERRORS" but Intel doesn't recognize the test or its results.

=> Intel is judge and jury...

0 Kudos
Tomsan
Beginner

The i9 13900K or 14900K may have the same issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/11uftum/rtx_4090_i9_13900k_pc_build_crashing_with/

But I see they solve this problem by reducing the core ratio, did you try it?

0 Kudos
LoloWiwi
New Contributor I

Hi @Tomsan ,

Thanks for the pointer to the Reddit thread.

My take on that:

- It seems to be a manifestation of the famous "silicon lottery" with "official benches" made on cherry picked CPUs.

- I bought a CPU for the performance advertised by the constructor, and the i9-13900K is supposed to be overclockable (even though Intel doesn't garanty overclockability)

- As a regular user having my i9-13900K non overclocked, I'm expecting the CPU to run at least smoothly at default settings without having to reduce Core Ratios for it to do what it's supposed to do : do its job without crashing

0 Kudos
Tomsan
Beginner

I have been using Intel CPUs for more than four generations, the 13900K in this generation is incredibly disappointing.

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II

True, months of frustration... figuring out the issue itself took half my soul away!

Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello LoloWiwi, I just received an update on this matter.

We just wanted to let you know that we are currently still working on this case in order to provide the most accurate technical assistance on this subject. 

As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II

What can you guys assist with a faulty processor? Its faulty, replace it, the poor soul is suffering for 7 months, now he and countless others in this forum is suffering, and you just keep everyone deferring. There is a special place up above for such behaviour. 7 months of frustration for one person! Imagine the magnitude of suffering that’s happening for everyone who fell victim. Just go see for all the complaints on 13900k once on your own forum and ask your inner self if what you guys are doing is right!?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@sibidharan     Why are you still here?  You have solved your problem, so why keep the rest of us suffering with your complaining?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II
That’s called Humanity! I don’t want anyone to suffer what I suffered. Thats how my parents brought me up.
0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II
This guy is employed by intel to make such comments with (Not an intel employee) tag? haha what a strategy! I am interested in this topic and I am interested in what resolution intel will take and I don’t want anyone to suffer, so I am still here.

This guy always try to shut me up. Intel, open your mouth and share the data on the number of processors that’s gone faulty, as consumers who are suffering, we want to know!
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@sibidharan   No, I am not employed by Intel.   And, I am not entirely certain that your "issues" were not deliberate and self-inflicted just to get a refund and a 14th gen processor.

Your continuing to bang the drum is not serving any purpose, except to try and make yourself look interested, when all you wanted as that refund and a new processor.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II

Haha what ? Wow! Every ounce of suffering I had, is as real as your MO to shut us up. I have replaced my processor long back and I am still here just to see what intel is gonna do for others! So I am here based on pure interest (cuz of the number of threads thats open on faulty 13900k, poor souls) and no intention for any gain, so I have nothing to lose.

Throw all you got, say I am a fraud, put yourself down on that, I don’t care.

Intel, open your mouth and agree its a faulty processor.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello LoloWiwi, I just received an update on this matter.

-If SVID is set at Intel Fail safe: It doesn't mean to over voltage the CPU, it is just to ensure the CPU running at stable voltage, it won't reduce the lifecycle of the CPU.

-Setting to "Auto" is a kind of undervoltage that may cause some CPU to run unstable.

-The IPDT test under "Auto" is similar to the XTU AVX2 test, you can test SVID is set at Intel Fail safe.

Running with “Intel Fail Safe”, is running with Intel default behavior. It is not increasing the voltage; it is setting the behavior back to what Intel’s specifications say it should be. This will not “burn out” the processor. Our specifications are designed to allow the processor to run by design for the life of the processor. ASUS’ “Auto” setting for SVID is undervolting the processor. In short, setting to “Intel Fail Safe” won't impact the CPU lifecycle.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello LoloWiwi, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
LoloWiwi
New Contributor I

Hi @Alberto_R_Intel ,

Thanks for the information provided about SVID Behavior=Intel Fail Safe, it's very clear.

So, I've been having issues with my CPU in the last couple of weeks, even though SVID Behavior = Intel Fail Safe (apps, games crashes, Chrome crashes), crashes with XTU stress test as well.

So, I contacted my local Intel Support and they finally offered to RMA my CPU

I feel relieved, I've lost soooo much time on this in the last few months...

Laurent

0 Kudos