Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14657 Discussions

i9-13900KF game crashes (Core Ratio) issue

NastyCypher
Beginner
Games crash with Exception Access Violation. (With no XMP file or multi threading)

I’ve done some research and found out that many people are having the same issue and when they lower down the p-core ratio from 55x to 54x (or below), crashes stop.

Only lowering down the core ratio that can temporarily solve it.

I want to know that if it’s a major defect of i9 series and why lowering down the ratio will help.
Is it a temperature issue?

For your reference:

1. https://www.overclock.net/threads/i9-13900k-crashes-in-some-games.1807106/

2. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/s/YpIqLwqlKF
0 Kudos
7 Replies
sibidharan
New Contributor II
In your BIOS, Turn of all your P-cores and run only with E-cores, magically nothing will crash!

If this works for you, then its a faulty i9. We are all victims of faulty i9.
0 Kudos
NastyCypher
Beginner
Do Intel know that their products have serious defect?
Why is there no any official announcement about it?
What should I do now?
RMA? How do I explain this problem to them?
0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II
I remember random crashes since the day I bought this computer, it has 128 GB RAM with i9 13900k. When I started having these crashes, I doubted my linux kernel. I tried to change different kernels, all crashed, they didn’t even boot via Live USB. I thought something is terribly wrong, everyone from intel community said its bad RAM, thats what they say first. Thats what everyone says first. Because it may be the easy thing to blame on, a faulty RAM. But thats not the reality. Even though RAM can go faulty, RAM does not throw General Protection Fault, only device capable of doing that is the processor.

The type of Access Violation you are saying is a type of General Protection Fault the processor throws when something bad with the CPU happens or when someone tries to hack your CPU. Here its not a hack.

You are getting Access Violation because the processor is trying to access blocks of memory thinking it has opcodes in it or some other data which seems corrupted (because of faulty core), and the access violation in windows, permission violation in linux (my case) is thrown - but its thrown by the processor, not by the OS.

Read more about GPF:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_protection_fault

So its the processor, not the RAM; and the intel guys are saying they are still investigating.
0 Kudos
NastyCypher
Beginner

I heard that some RMA request may get rejected.
May I know why and how could I “convince” them to perform a RMA task for me?
My colleague said that intel definitely won’t admit that there’s a number of products being faulty cause otherwise they will be on news…

Also, when I asked my friend about this problem, he persisted that it’s a temperature issue. He said, If the core temperature is over 100℃, it will trigger a protection to shutdown the applications.
Because i9 is a powerful CPU, during the process of game like Cyberpunk with full RT and DLSS, the temp will go up to 100℃ inevitably, whatever cooling system you have.
And because of that, Intel might claim that it’s an optimization problem of games/Windows, instead of faulty core, which lead to rejection of RMA.

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II
Did you monitor your CPU temperatures? If not, try to do that to eliminate this.
sibidharan
New Contributor II

I just changed to 14th gen 19-14900K and all issues are magically gone. The server is booting up butter smooth and no panics anywhere, no lockups anywhere!! 

Its the bloody i9-13900K, everyone (or a subset) who bought this is silently suffering.

Please change the CPU. Thats the only solution. 

Azmal
Beginner

I've experienced random crashes ever since I purchased it. Despite having replaced the RAM, CPU cooler, Windows, and even the SSD previously, my suspicions about the processor were minimal.

Thank you for you comment I am now going to claim Warranty.

0 Kudos