Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14652 Discussions

i9-13900KF : very frequent crashes (Windows 11) with apps and games

seitam
Novice

Hello.

I built my first game setup in July and I from the beginning I had rare app crashes, some specific games crashes constantly, other were playable and BSOD. After some days of crashes it began to get worse and worse.

I had to format SO to write this post because the firefox tabs were crashing after a few seconds of use and even the whole firefox app crashes sometimes.

Here is my current spec:

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KF 3 GHz 24-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S chromax.black 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Noctua NT-H2 3.5 g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Phantom Gaming 4/D5 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6800 CL34 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte EAGLE OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card)
Case: Lian Li O11D XL-X ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 850 GQ 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: BenQ XL2430T 24.0" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz Monitor
Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 34.2" 3440 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech PRO X Superlight 2 Wireless/Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: JBL Quantum 800 Headset

I'm using Windows 11 pro, no overclock (no XMP), default bios config, drivers and bios updated.

I want to play games using this PC, but everything crashes... i.e. Cyberpunk crashes in 5 minutes of game, firefox, discord keeps crashing over and over, steam crashes after a few minutes.

I Tried some third party tests:

• Prime95 runs fine for a 10 hours;
  • Intel Extreme Tuning Utility passed tests (I noticed some Throttling but I guess it is not the problem).

I am posting here because I just found a solution for one of the games I play. I will try to explain.

Path of Exile have a big community and I found some topics related to my problem. A workaround to play the game was to set the Affinity of this specific app to use Efficiency cores only (cores from 16 to 31 for I9-13900) - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3408111/page/5#p25062465

and the crashes for this game stopped... Everything else keeps crashing, even windows update, windows tasks, discord and firefox, but the game keeps running... lagging a bit but no crash.

Can you help me finding out what is going on?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello seitam, 

Thanks for your confirmation. I am glad to know that you found a workaround for this issue, however, altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. 

I understand you mentioned that this issue seems to be related to the CPU compatibility with some games, but if you want, you can get in contact with us to discuss the RMA options available for you to confirm if the issue was related to this CPU model or the motherboard.

Feel free to use any of the following methods: 

1. Chat support  

2. For phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:  

- Phone contact information 

- North America: Phone Number 1-916-377-7000, Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).  

- Web ticket support 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello seitam,   

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I can imagine how frustrating is this behavior for you. I will happily assist you on this matter.

Before I continue, I want to confirm this:

1. Do you see any LED or get any beep from the motherboard when the crash happens?

2. Were you able to test a different CPU, GPU, or RAM?

3. Just to confirm, by "format SO to write this post", did you mean you reinstalled Windows?

4. Can you take a picture of the BSOD error?

5. Just to confirm, do you have the 15.02 BIOS version installed?

6. Run and attach the report from the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool:

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
seitam
Novice

Hello @DeividA_Intel 

1. Do you see any LED or get any beep from the motherboard when the crash happens?

Thereis no LED or beep.

2. Were you able to test a different CPU, GPU, or RAM?

Not yet, I will be able to test a new memory in 2 days. Corsair Vengeance, 32GB (2x16GB), 5600MHz, DDR5, CL36, Preto - CMK32GX5M2B5600C36

3. Just to confirm, by "format SO to write this post", did you mean you reinstalled Windows?

Yes. Fresh installation, wiping both nvm ssds.

4. Can you take a picture of the BSOD error?

It always happens in a short time... I will add the most recent BOSD and the event before it happens (print below) from Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Problem Details:

seitam_0-1697077351024.png

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
Código:	1e
Parâmetro 1:	ffffffffc0000005
Parâmetro 2:	0
Parâmetro 3:	8
Parâmetro 4:	0
Versão do SO:	10_0_22621
Service Pack:	0_0
Produto:	256_1
Versão do sistema operacional:	10.0.22621.2.0.0.256.48
Identificação da Localidade:	1046

O computador foi reinicializado após uma verificação de erro. Essa verificação foi: 0x0000001e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000000). Um despejo de memória foi salvo em: C:\Windows\Minidump\101123-6640-01.dmp. Id de Relatório: db676937-cbea-4b12-90d9-93eed271a2a5.

The message in line 15 is in portuguese and it says "The computer rebooted after an error check. This verification was: 0x0000001e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000000). A crash dump was saved at: C:\Windows\Minidump\101123-6640-01.dmp. Report Id: db676937-cbea-4b12-90d9-93eed271a2a5."
Let me know if you want me to attach this file here.

5. Just to confirm, do you have the 15.02 BIOS version installed?

Yes

6. Run and attach the report from the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html

Done

0 Kudos
seitam
Novice

Hello!

I just got the new RAMs - Corsair Vengeance, 32GB (2x16GB), 5600MHz, DDR5, CL36 - CMK32GX5M2B5600C36.

I installed at slots a2, b2 following the manual for dual channel and clear CMOS.

The crashes still happens, same frequency.
I really dont know what to do anymore.

0 Kudos
seitam
Novice
I installed an SSD and now I am trying to install windows there.

I cannot even finish the installation anymore, looks like the problem is getting more frequent...

I took a photo of the last bsod and attached here.

I wonder if the motherboard is OK, but I do not know how to check it...
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello seitam, 

Thanks for all the information provided. At this point and based on all the troubleshooting you have performed, I can only recommend you try the following:

1. If possible, test with a different CPU or motherboard to confirm if any of these 2 components are causing the issues.

2. Testing by booting the system using only essential components (motherboard, processor, one stick of memory, video card, one storage drive, and power supply).

Please let me know if you were able to follow the recommendation and/or if the issue persisted.

Regards,   

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
seitam
Novice

Hello @DeividA_Intel 

1. If possible, test with a different CPU or motherboard to confirm if any of these 2 components are causing the issues.

I cannot test using other CPU or MOBO. None of my friends have a mobo ddr5 with same socket or another i9.

2. Testing by booting the system using only essential components (motherboard, processor, one stick of memory, video card, one storage drive, and power supply).

I've done this test already, same crash results...

Anyway, I just found something that "fixed" the problem until now... looks like a sad fix because it reduce the performance of the CPU but it fixed...

Details:

Figured out how to fix it. Seems like issue is specific to Intel CPUs with P cores and E cores(Like my 13900k). Someone in another post mentioned they fixed it doing the same thing they had to do to fix Remnant 2, I tried it and it actually worked, and I was able to play for 4 hours straight without any issues with just about every setting maxed.

Fix for me was: install Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility, open it and go into Advanced tuning and set each P-Core in the Performance to Core Tuning to a slightly lower value. For me it was going from 55->54(some were even at 58->54) on all the P-Cores, hit apply, minimize the Intel Utility and play the game. Rinse repeat anytime you reboot/startup your computer.

Seems like some kind of compatibility issue with Cyberpunk and other games like the Remnant 2 just not liking Intel's P/E Core architecture(12000-13000 Series).

Way too many people just blowing off this issue assuming it has to do with mods or ♥♥♥♥♥♥ computers(Kinda wished I went AMD now lol). My last two rigs ran cyberpunk fine(amd and intel), so it was a little alarming having issues with a 4090/13900k. I keep my gaming rigs clean, up to date, and pretty much as stable as possible since I work in tech and have 0 desire to do any kind of tinkering/troubleshooting outside of work.

And if I find that post again here with the fix that worked for me, Ill put an award, thank you kind person! 

The post link at Path of Exile forum: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3408111/page/13#p25125503

The original post from Steam Cyberpunk forum: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1091500/discussions/7/3878218563600108001/?ctp=2#c3878218563599823298

I reduced the P Core to 54 in BIOS, it looks stable, no crash in the last 2 hours.

Anyway, I would like to know the Intel position in this situation. Is it an acceptable workaround: I am not an expert but it looks like the CPU will be less performance than it should be. Will there be a fix for this problem?

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello seitam, 

Thanks for your confirmation. I am glad to know that you found a workaround for this issue, however, altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. 

I understand you mentioned that this issue seems to be related to the CPU compatibility with some games, but if you want, you can get in contact with us to discuss the RMA options available for you to confirm if the issue was related to this CPU model or the motherboard.

Feel free to use any of the following methods: 

1. Chat support  

2. For phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:  

- Phone contact information 

- North America: Phone Number 1-916-377-7000, Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).  

- Web ticket support 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
seitam
Novice
hey Deivid

**bleep**, so I will have some weeks to have my computer running...

I will restore the default values and contact RMA.

Is there a Brazilian support? I hope it does because it may be faster and easier to resolve this problem. can you help me with this?
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello seitam, 

Thanks for your response. Of course, we provide support for Brazil, you can use this phone number (001-916-377-0180) to get in contact and expedite the process. Bear in mind that you may be required to provide some information before discussing any RMA option, you can use this thread as a reference.

I will proceed to close this thread, however, you can open a new one in case you need further support or if you face any issues with our products.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos