Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14950 Discussions

i9-13900h event id 37 & BSOD Stop Code:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

sjxc1097
Novice

for last few weeks, i'm constantly getting event id 37 which says CPU is being limited.

also frequent BSOD with Stop Code: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

search result says it's either faulty CPU or improper cooling or overclocked CPU.

it's laptop and no intake/exhaust is blocked and isn't overclocked.

I've contacted MSFT and they said it's faulty CPU.

I've tried doing factory reset on windows but it keeps failing at 65~70% mark.

it's running hot even in 'power saver' mode in power setting and will instantly crash if I change to 'balanced' or 'performance' and only way to change back to 'power saver' mode is going into safe mode.

HP keeps insist running windows in 'power saver' mode but who buys i9-13900h laptop with RTX4060 to run in limp mode?

HP UEFI diagnostic passes on everything for CPU GPU Memory SSD

thermal test can't be run because it says CPU is too hot to run the test.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @sjxc1097  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I understand that you are having overheating and BSOD issues, let me help the best I can. 

1. Was it working before? 
  2. Please test the processor and attach the reports to have more information about your system and processor's health: 

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool 

Note: Please attach the complete Screenshot or click on "File", select the "View Results File" option, save and attach the report. 

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) 

Note: Click on the "Stress Test" tab and "Start Testing" and then, attach a complete screenshot. Please perform all the tests possible. 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
sjxc1097
Novice

1. Was it working before?

• yes, system was purchased on 9/11/2023 and ran fine until around 12/10/2023
    i've noticed system fan kicking in more frequent and running at max speed even under light usage.
    until 12/10, i'd get random freeze/shutdown maybe once a week, but past 12/10, it happened multiple times a day and then refuse to boot. 
    only way to get it to run semi-stable was to put power setting in control panel to 'power saver' or limp mode. it will freeze/lock-up instantly if power setting was to set 'balanced' or 'performace'

2. Please test the processor and attach the reports to have more information about your system and processor's health:

• system refuse to run in any power setting other than 'power saver' and even 'power saver' locks up if i have more than 1 application active
  • couldn't capture screenshot as computer froze when doing it and had to take photo.
  • requrested files/image uploaded
  • system fully wiped at 11:00pm of 12/26/2023.
  • only installed software other than factory software is above 3 you mentioned + hwinfo + core-temp
  • still getting tons of event id 37 which is throttling cpu. it was showing in stress test as well.
0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @sjxc1097  

Thank you for the information provided. 

Please make sure that you the latest BIOS version. 

You can also try reinstalling the OS from scratch. If the issue persists and your systems keeps overheating and get BSODs, we recommend you contact your for further assistance since this is a laptop, for possible inspection or further assistance. 

Check the following article for more details: My Laptop Seems to Be Overheating 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
sjxc1097
Novice

newest bios updated with release date of 12/15/2023

i've tried reinstalling OS from local install as well as cloud install using USB drive.

finally got HP to send shipping box for warranty repair to ship it to them tho.

i've never had cpu/system that got throttled this much in the past regardless of form factor

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @sjxc1097  

I am sorry you had to experience this issue, there are several things that can influence the temperatures in the laptops, especially their cooling solutions. 

However, I am also happy to hear that they are going to help you with your laptop. 

Since you are being helped with a warranty service, this thread will no longer monitored, but if you need help with other matters, we encourage you to reach out again and we will gladly assist you from this side. 

Have a nice day and Happy New Year's Eve. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos