Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15312 Discussions

i9-13900k not recognized anymore

mikemiker
Beginner

Hello,

beginning of January I've built my new PC and this time I went straight for the i9-13900k CPU.

I put it into a MSI Pro Z690 DDR5 motherboard along with 64GB of Corsair Vengance DDR5 RAM, and a MSI Trio X Gaming 4070 Ti.

Everything worked flawlessly until today.

I was just playing Witcher 3 as it rang on my door. I went to open and about 3 minutes later I came back and noticed the system froze.

So I hit the restart button on my PC case and nothing happend except that the red CPU light of the motherboard is on.

I pulled the power cord and waited some time before plugging it in again. No change.

I took off the water pump (NZXT Kraken X63) which was barely warm, not even noticeable, and reaplied some thermal paste, put everything back together and...no change.

So I went for a BIOS update. In the beginning I was on 7D25vA7 and so I updated to the latest 7D25vAA. No change.

It's not the first system I've built and never had any problems so far, but this time I went for a high-end CPU and now I'm quite devestated. My PCs usually last for 6-8 years before they get replaced.

P.S. I didn't tweak anything. No OC. No anything. PSU is Corsair RM850x and both CPU power plugs are used on the motherboard.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I disagree - but if you think so, feel free to report it to MS (too).

...S

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

@n_scott_pearson wrote:

I disagree - but if you think so, feel free to report it to MS (too).

...S

i get where you are coming from.....but, those are facts:
- less problems on win 7
- more problem after updated ver win 10
- only problems from the first ver of win 11

There is just but one thing i did not try, bcoz when powered on, the SSD would be as quick as the rest of the system, if not even faster than the internal motherboard memory - thus allowing the motherboard to actually access the drive and find some BOOTSEC or whatever teh name of that file was.

So my question to other users on here would be, do you have same problems if the OS is installed on a HDD instead of SSD?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In fact, you can have more issues with a HDD as a result of faster and faster boot times. Most BIOS implementations provide a HDD Pre-delay feature that you can use to give yourself more time to enter the key sequence - at the expense of boot time, however. A lot of people prioritize fast boot times over convenience.

...S

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

@n_scott_pearson wrote:

In fact, you can have more issues with a SSD as a result of faster and faster boot times. Most BIOS implementations provide a SSD Pre-delay feature that you can use to give yourself more time to enter the key sequence - at the expense of boot time, however. A lot of people prioritize fast boot times over convenience.

...S

Yes, by defualt, even if set to skip the motherboard 'logo' or post screen or whatever its called, there will be a delay before initially booting....that is why it does not take less than 6sec to boot, bcoz like half of that time is the waiting for user interaction.

0 Kudos
Peter000
Beginner

any update for you issue there? I just experienced the same thing on my Z790 MSI ACE board. 

0 Kudos