Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14874 Discussions

i9 14900k randomly crashing

alex_dimou
Beginner

Issue Summary:

• Experiencing persistent crashes and blue screens in demanding applications (but also while doing nothing) like Unreal Engine and Character Creator, with further complications observed during specific CPU-intensive benchmarks.
  • Crashes have been consistently replicated across Windows 10 and 11, unaffected by updates to drivers, BIOS, or clean OS installations.
  • The system has been tested with multiple RAM sets, including those approved by the motherboard's Qualified Vendor List (QVL), without resolving the issue.
  • Upgraded to a 1500W power supply to ensure sufficient power delivery, eliminating inadequate power as a cause.
  • System temperatures and thermal performance have been monitored and are within normal ranges, discounting overheating as a contributing factor.
  • Notably, the system crashes during two specific CPU-intensive tests: V-Ray Benchmark tool (when trying to test the CPU) and OCCT (OverClock Checking Tool), when inside the CPU test i chose the option for the "large" Data Set, suggesting a potential underlying issue with the CPU or its interaction with the memory controller, the motherboard or other system components.

Steps Taken:

1. Updated all drivers and BIOS to their latest versions.
  2. Conducted clean installations of both Windows 10 and 11, with different SSD's as well.
  3. Tested with various RAM configurations, including QVL-approved sets.
  4. Replaced the PSU with a 1500W unit to rule out power supply issues.
  5. Monitored and confirmed normal operating temperatures to eliminate overheating concerns.
  6. Performed comprehensive diagnostics, including memtest86 and AIDA64 stress tests, which passed without indicating hardware issues. The tests that didn't pass, as mentioned above, are the OCCT test with those specific options and the V-Ray Benchmark tool, while rendering on CPU.
  7. Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, which showed the CPU passing all tests.
  8. Specifically, encountered crashes during the V-Ray Benchmark tool and OCCT tests when they utilize the CPU, pointing towards a potential CPU-related issue or a complex interaction between the CPU and other hardware components.
  9. Sought assistance from multiple technicians and professionals, none of whom could definitively identify the issue.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... 

PC Setup:

1. CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K
  2. Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero
  3. RAM: Initially, Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 (Part Number: KF556C36BBE-32), later changed to G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 96GB DDR5 (Part Number:F5-6800J3446F48GX2-TZ5RK) supported by the motherboard's QVL
  4. GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
  5. PSU: Initially Corsair RM1000x Shift 1000W Full Modular 80 Plus Gold, upgraded to 1500W
  6. Storage: Samsung 990 PRO SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe
  7. Cooling System: Lian Li Galahad II Trinity 360 SL-INF ARGB - Black and 
  8. Case: Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL Full Tower RGB - Black
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello alex_dimou,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. Rest assured, we will assist you with your concern.

We sincerely appreciate and commend you for taking your time performing the necessary steps in trying to identify the issue. We would like to add up a few steps for you to consider before we can proceed to our next steps. Please see below for your reference:

1. Install Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) using this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html and run AVX2 test, if AVX2 test failure is seen.
  2. Then change BIOS settings
  3. Advanced (F7) > AI Tweaker > SVID Behavior: Change to “Intel’s Fail Safe”
  4. Reboot the OS and run XTU test again and if the AVX2 test can pass.
  5. Run games and apps to see if the issue happens again.

If the issue persists, kindly generate the dump files following the steps below:

Gather Application logs from Windows Event viewer "Windows Logs"

1. Press the "Windows key" + "R" and type in "eventvwr.msc", then click “OK” to run the Event Viewer.
  2. Under "Event Viewer (Local)" > "Windows Logs", select the Application - to collect "Application Logs".
  3. To Save the event log. Click menu "Action" and select "Save All Events As…".
  4. Save the log file with your desired file name and location.

Generate Windows dump file to help us with the analysis of your concern - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/performance/generate-a-kernel-or-complete-crash-dump

1. Follow the "Manually generate a memory dump file" procedure. This command notMyfault.exe /crash will trigger BSOD which is part of generating dump file. Make sure that this data is saved and all closed prior executing this program.
  2. These are just examples of where the dumped files are normally located. The location might've been changed prior to running the tool from your end.
    1. Small Memory dump - C:\WINDOWS\Minidump directory.
    2. The Kernel and Complete Memory Dump - %SystemRoot%MEMORY. DMP.
  • Note: The Kernel and Complete Memory Dump is a huge file(approximately around 2GB). We would suggest to consider sharing it with us via Google Drive. It is important for us to gather all the information necessary to provide you a better recommendation in resolving your concern.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello alex_dimou,

Were you able to check the previous post? Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
alex_dimou
Beginner

Hello Jay,

Thank you so much for your answer!

I did try all of these, but nothing worked. After the failing of the AVX2 test, i went and changed the SVID to "Intel's safe" but still, nothing changed. So, instead of gathering the application logs, as you told me, i decided to start the RMA process. 

Thankfully, i got a replacement and i've had the new CPU for 2 days now. Everything works fine as i am writing this message. 

Thank you again for your time and effort in helping me! I trully appreciate it!

Best,

Alex

0 Kudos
Colosio
Novice

sorry to tell that youre just wasting some time. its not a faulty CPU its the lineup wich is wrong. look here for all the 14900k issues. 

0 Kudos
alex_dimou
Beginner

Could you be more specific? What do you mean by "line up"?

I've looked thoroughly through most of the threads. Nothing seemed to work.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello alex_dimou,

Thank you for the update. We are glad that replacing your CPU via RMA was able to address your concern. We will proceed in closing this inquiry. Please be advised that this thread will no longer be monitored moving forward.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos