Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

i9 Upgrade

NHard1
Beginner

Earlier this year, I upgraded my system from an i7 6800k to an i9 7920. This obviously required a new motherboard but I didn't change the SSD that the operating system (Windows 10) was installed on. Initially, Windows 10 needed re-activating due to the upgraded parts and it would not recognise the key but a quick call to Microsoft support and it was all sorted.

The query I have is with regard to certain drivers, which appear to be remnants of the old processor but I'm not sure if I need to or how I'm to uninstall them.

In the device manager, under Processors, I see 24 entries of Intel(R) Core (TM) i9-7920X CPU @ 2,90GHz, which leads me to believe my system is recognising the correct processor.

In the device manager, under System Devices, I see numerous entries for registers and controllers that are registered to Intel (R) Xeon(R) processor P family/Core i7. There are no entire indicating Core i9

The reason how I discovered these entries was because I was looking under Resources by Type at PCI entries in the Interrup request section and noticed several entries for CBDMA registers belonging to said Core i7 processor. When looking for these entries in the registry, I discovered numerous devices description (DeviceDesc) with similar to the following - @oem68.inf,%pci\ven_8086&dev_2018desc%;Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor P family/Core i7 M2PCI Registers - 2018. Again I find no devices that indicate Core i9.

I believe I installed all the motherboard drivers but if this indicates I have not then I do not know which one I may have missed.

Does this indicate that there are remnants of the old 6800k processor in the registry and do I need to delete the entries? If so, how best is it to do this?

Thank you for your time

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I have done similar upgrades, and the old devices/chipsets/processors/etc are left behind. They do not create a problem, but I wanted to be rid of all the old baggage.

Here is what I did.

First, create a System environment variable named DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES and set the value to 1.

Then, in the Device Mangler, Show Hidden Devices

Now, as you traverse through all of the devices, you will see some that are dimmed. These are offline or not present. If you double-click on one of them, it will tell you so.

However, you simply uninstall these dimmed devices. It will take you a while to go through them, and you will be surprised by how much information was being kept without your knowledge.

Before doing this, take a system image just to be safe. However, I have never had a problem cleaning up these offline/non-present devices.

Now, if you have a device you do not recognize, and it is not dim, right-click on it, update, and search automatically. There are a number of devices that are not properly named, but will be once you update them. Also, the multiple "motherboard resources" you have, a couple of them will be named and have an updated driver installed when you update them.

Yes, all of this is time consuming. But, if you want to clean up the baggage, this is the only way I know how to.

Good luck, and report back.

Doc

0 Kudos
NHard1
Beginner

Thank you for your reply Doc. Yes, I am aware of how to uninstall all devices that are hidden but the devices I am questioning are not hidden or grayed out. They appear to be being utilised.

Something else that I find strange with the Core i7 entries. Right clicking to bring up properties, some of them do say further installation is required but the Intel driver update utility says nothing else is required.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If further installation is required, I guess I would be inclined to do it. Otherwise, I am at a loss.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Laithar,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I will need more information to help you in the best way. Please provide me with an System Support Utility report. This report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

This is important so we can see if there is an issue with drivers.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NHard1
Beginner

Hello David,

File submitted as requested.

Regards

Nigel H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Laithar,

Thank you for your response.

I have been reviewing the information but nothing seems to be out of place. Could you please attach screenshots of the drivers that show as you mentioned? Also, have you tried with a fresh install of Windows?

Let me know please.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
NHard1
Beginner

Hello David

Thank you for getting back to me.

I'm attaching screenshots of the device manager, which shows the devices installed. These device drivers, according to the registry, are from 2016 but do belong to the Skylake family.

I guess that means they are not related to the 6800k I had previously installed as that is Broadwell?

I also show the PCI IRQ/MSI view as I am trying to optimise my PC for audio composition and wanted to get as many devices off IRQ sharing as possible.

I noticed in this view that some of the Core i7 devices are already changed to MSI and yet others aren't so is it possible to change the others too?

I have not tried this with a fresh install of windows as yet. This is a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and as previously mentioned, when I first installed the i9 CPU, Windows authentication failed due to significant changes.

When I couldn't get it authenticated, I had to call Microsoft support and they gave me a new registration number. If it is required to reinstall, I will do it but it will be a last resort. Besides, you might think the devices are legit for the i9.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Laithar,

I was double-checking the information and in fact those labels in the device manager are expected since in this case that is how the Operating System recognizes it. This does not mean that the processor will not work properly, in fact, we have a utility that you can run to make sure that your system recognizes the processor properly:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838/Intel-Processor-Identification-Utility-Windows-Version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838/Intel-Processor-Identification-Utility-Windows-Version

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
NHard1
Beginner

Hi David

Thank you for this reassurance. I guess I was expecting it to say Core i9 instead of i7 but realised after a while that Windows 10 was recognising it that way.

I tried the utility and it indeed showed all details for the 7920X so I am happy in that regard.

With regard to the previous jpg file containing MSI and IRQ information, is it possible to optimise the CBDMA Registers - 2021 to use message signaled interrupts instead of the shared IRQs they currently have? As you can see from the picture, they share IRQ11 with SMBUS - A2A3 and IRQ14 with the Thermal subsystem - A2B1. I have tried setting the MessageSignaledInterruptProperties/MSISupport to 1 but it was ignored so I guess there is more to it or it's not possible?

I am in talks with RME about the HDSPe AIO, which accepts MSI but at the moment there is no sound output.

Ideally, I would like to get as many of these PCI IRQs changed to MSI, as is possible.

Thank you kindly, for your help so far. It is truly appreciated

Nigel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Laithar,

In this case, that is something not possible from our side, also we cannot change the registry since that is something not related to the processor itself. In this case you could refer to Microsoft* or else the motherboard's manufacturer for further assistance with this.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Laithar,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to contact the manufacturer or Microsoft* to address this for you?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos