Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14695 Discussions

intel i7 12700H; overheating, throttling

edmundgrayes
Beginner

I have new Lenovo Legion 5 15IAH7H Laptop, intel 12700H

Many users have encountered the problem of high temperatures and throttling, I was no exception.

Yes, the permissible temperatures declared by the manufacturer are up to 100 degrees, but it's not normal to regularly see temperatures of 95-100 degrees at maximum load during turbo boost.

The main problem lies in the "unlimited" TDP of the processor in turbo boost mode (115 watts with a typical processor TDP of 45 watts), it is obvious that no laptop cooling system can cope with an increase in TDP by 2-3 times at the moment. Which, as a result, causes a sharp drop in the frequency of the processor, that is, microfreezes in games.
Perhaps while working in applications such power is justified, but in games it inevitably causes a drop in FPS.

Current solution.
I set XTU and limited the CPU TDP in "turbo boost short power max " to 65 watts and "turbo boost power max" to 45 watts for the game mode. Temperatures have improved significantly, but still temperature is jump to high values time to time.
So for a better temperature control effect, I should also limit the maximum frequencies in turbo boost mode.

Question #1,
undervolting and frequency limiting are blocked in intel XTU, how should I limit the maximum frequencies in turbo boost mode in this case?

Question #2,
in intel XTU, processor core IccMax and processor gaphics IccMax settings were automatically unlocked and set to certain default values as 160 A and 35 A. What these values should be by default, since I did not find this information anywhere in the specifications of intel.

Notice;
Average temperatures during gaming sessions are acceptable and match the temperatures of other users or reviews of this model, as well as the results of synthetic tests. Therefore, I am deeply convinced of the complete health of the cooling system as such.
Bios and all drivers updated to the latest versions.

Regards, 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I will never understand why users try to use XTU on locked processors, and why Intel even allows XTU to run on unsupported processors.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
edmundgrayes
Beginner

I used XTU because I found information on the forums how other users use it, for this exact processor and only for TDP control.

"why Intel even allows XTU to run on unsupported processors." - thats a really good question.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello edmundgrayes,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-12700H Processor.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Can you take a picture of the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) where we can see the high temperatures?

2. Are you using any other tools to monitor the temperatures?

3. Can you take a picture of the task manager when while the CPU is at high temperatures?

4. What is the operating system installed as well as the version and build?

5. What are the games affected?

Bear in mind that the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) may not work properly with non "K" and "X" versions. Options like undervolting may not be available as per manufacturer (MSI, ASUS, Dell, HP) request. Recommend you check with the manufacturer of your computer to confirm if this option can be enabled.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello edmundgrayes,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello edmundgrayes, 

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos