i have the following system

core i7 870

gigabyte h55m motherboard

gskill ripjaws x 8gb ram

msi gtx 460 hawk gpu

500 gb seagate hdd

corsair gs600 psu

so heres my problem..

my pc is very very unstable...it all has been going on since i took my pc in 2010 november...but at that time there were very little symtoms of unstability...

now after around 1 year.....its getting worse n worse...

instability symptoms include

1)random freezing.

2)random shutoffs and then restarts after 2-3 seconds

3)some cpu related bsods

4)computer goes into loops of turning on and off.

now to remedy these i started looking up the temperature of cpu n saw it was fine not too much i mean it was well below 80c under gaming nall and under 45 when idling or normal desktop usage.

so i suspected other system parts like gpu psu hdd motherboard etc.

so i did following things

1) rma'ed my gpu n got a replacement but problem still persisted.

2) rma'ed my psu n got a replacement again but still problems persisted.

3) got a new set of rams and ran memtest 86+ and got no errors on my ram but problem still persisted.

4) finally i rma'ed my motherboard but still im facing same problem...so im reaching a conclusion that it might be the processor...

so now i ask u what should i do...some of my freinds who have done cpu rma,told me that if ur processor is booting up n still if i gave it for rma then i will be blacklisted and my warranty wil get void, is it true??

although my pc boots n runs fine normally but under heavy usage like gaming encoding etc it becomes totally unpredictable...like sometimes im able to use my pc for hours or even days together without any problem and sometimes i get multiple freezes/restarts etc in a single day...

please help me out here..i dont know what to do.

thank you for your time....

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

What speed of Ram are you using because the CPU has a built in controller set at DDR3-1333. If you use anything higher it may not stay stable without some voltage tweeks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

the ripjaws x are confirmed to wok at 1600 mhz with i7 processors @ 1.5 volts...to be exact they are on 1.55volts currently...

and i have xmp(xtreme memory profile on) which takes cre of all these compatibility n voltage stuff and latencies too...

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Even if the ram is 1600Mhz the CPU controller is 1333, you can run that ram but it will operate at 1333.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ya thats all good...but how can that cause all this when its obviously completely compatible with my processor and xmp...

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Run CPUz and see what speed the ram is >??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

So you do have the ram running at 1600Mhz , try bring it down to 1333 and see if that stabilizes your sys.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Tou can over tax the cpu controller by running it higher than it was designed to run at .

0 Kudos