Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 ディスカッション

"Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0" and "Hyper-V"

UUser4
ビギナー
4,257件の閲覧回数

I read that Broadwell-E is well suited for virtualisation.

How to I combine the benefits of type 1 virtualisation ("bare") like Microsoft Hyper-V and "Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0" ?

thanks in advance

Broadwell_E_FAN

0 件の賞賛
6 返答(返信)
idata
従業員
3,061件の閲覧回数

Hello broadwell_E_FAN:

In regard to your inquiry, we will do an investigation and research in order to find out if it is possible to combine the virtualization and the turbo boost technology.

Before we do that, is there any specific Broadwell-E processor model that you are interested in?

When you say combine virtualization and the turbo boost technology, you mean to use the turbo boost technology on a virtual machine?

Please provide a detailed description or a scenario of what is it that you need to do.

Which Windows version are you using?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

UUser4
ビギナー
3,061件の閲覧回数

I am currently using windows 10 pro (as hypervisor to have Hyper-V enabled) and another windows 10 pro within a Virtual Machine.

I am certainly willing to switch to a server OS if that is required by Intel.

I own a 6850K for testing and plan to obtain 6950X for production.

My wish would be to boost the clock of a specific physical core using Intel Turbo boost max 3.0, but only upon a maximally loaded VM.

However, I feel that tier 1 virtualisation products are "shy" of processor affinity (i.e. mapping specific virtual cores to a known physical core).

As virtualisation seems to be a strong and unique selling point for i7 enthousiast platform, can you highlight if this is a realistic demand?

thank you for your willingness to investigate.
idata
従業員
3,061件の閲覧回数

Hello broadwell_E_FAN:

Thank you very much for that information, we will do further research on this matter in order to get to provide the most accurate response.

As soon as I get the resolution, I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

idata
従業員
3,061件の閲覧回数

Hello broadwell_E_FAN:

I just received some updates regarding our investigation and based on that I just wanted to let you know that Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 can be enabled on a Hyper-V enabled system, but we do not support Hyper V with Intel® Turbo Boost Max driver solution, native OS support in Hyper V is the best thing to do, let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards

Alberto
swill9
ビギナー
3,060件の閲覧回数

Hi

I have a similar situation and am trying to understand the Xeon CPU turbo boost frequency in a hyper v scenario.

Your reply above implies that Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology is only available on the host physical server and is not able to pass the benefits of the Turbo Boost technology to VM's in a Hyper V environment. Given pretty much nothing other than the Hyper visor runs on the physical box, your comments implies that turbo boost is only available for the hyper visor which will never require it.

We have a Dell T630 with 2 x E2640v4 10 core CPU's at 2.4 base freq turbo up to 3.4 freq, running Windows Server 2016 with Hyper V installed. Several VM's are running for the DC, applications, communications and SQL.

When we have an extremely processor intensive application running, the application VM and Host CPU utilization ramps up to 100%. The CPU speed on the VM and the host remains at 2.4.

The Intel site clearly states that the latest Xeon processes are designed for virtualization and support Intel Turbo Boost Technology. This appears to be a contradiction, as it appears the Xeon CPU only supports EITHER virtualization OR Intel Turbo Boost Technology but not BOTH concurrently.

What is the point of a high core count CPU with turbo boost in a virtual environment if the turbo boost technology cannot be utilized in the virtual environment? Why not just provide a E2640v4 10 core CPU with a base speed of 2.4 ghz and no turbo boost technology since the turbo boost freq cannot be accessed in virtual settings.

idata
従業員
3,060件の閲覧回数

Hi shaunmw: In this case in order to get further assistance on this subject, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for that is that every scenario is different, even if the same product is being used, so, for us to further assist with the information you are requesting, please submit a new thread:

/community/tech https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Alberto R

返信