Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

0-15 counter

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Guys,  

Can anyone help me i am nee to altera programming.  

Can anyone help me i am trying to write an up and down counter that counts from 0-15 with 2 bushbuttons and 2 7 segments display 

plaease help or guide me.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here's a guide. 

1. Use synchronous design techniques, eg., use the 50MHz clock on your board. 

2. Design a synchronizer component, eg., dual DFF for converting an asynchronous external signal to a synchronous signal 

3. Synchronize the external push button signals and then debounce them, i.e., check that the button transition from high to low or low to high is clean. You might need to use a counter to decide that button transitions are only recognized if the button state changes and is held for say 10 clocks. The button change can be converted to a single clock period wide pulse, and this can be the enable for your counter that drives the hex display. 

4. Design a hex to 7-segment display driver 

5. Wire it all together 

Don't go searching too far for source code, try and write it yourself, I'll show you examples if you cannot figure it out. 

Are you writing VHDL or SystemVerilog code? 

What board are you using? 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am writing a vhdl code and i cant figure it out

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am writing a vhdl code and i cant figure it out 

--- Quote End ---  

Which step are you stuck on? 

Pick something simple. For example, start with the 7-segment decoder. That circuit can be combinatorial. The component input is 4-bits and the output is the 7-segment 7-bit value. Draw images of the digits 0 through F displayed on a 7-segment display and create a table of which bits need to be on or off. See if you can figure out how to implement that in VHDL. Don't worry if you cannot, just post the table (photo of paper is fine) to show you understand and tried. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

7-segment diaplay 0-F 

ABCDEFG 

0= 0000001 8= 0000000 

1= 1001111 9= 0001100 

2= 0010010 A= 0001000 

3= 0000110 b= 1100000 

4= 1001100 C= 0110001 

5= 0100100 d= 1000010 

6= 0100000 E= 0110000 

7= 0001111 F= 0111000 

a '0' means that the segment is on and a '1' means its off that is the table that i created 

thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yep, you got it :) 

Now look at the VHDL implementation 

https://github.com/d-hawkins/hdl/blob/master/lib/hex_display/src/hex_display.vhd 

The std_logic_vector(6 downto 0) output is just (G,F,E,D,C,B,A), so the binary values in the table are in bit-reversed order to what you wrote above. That is just an implementation detail :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So what step would you like next? How about generating a count on your hex display? 

Create a counter that divides your 50MHz clock by "enough bits" that the MSBs change slow enough that you can read them when connected to the hex display. 

If you dig around the github repo you'll see examples for some Xilinx boards. 

If you tell me what Altera board you are using, I probably have it too, and will post code to that repo. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

EPM7064SLC84-7 that's the device i am using

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

EPM7064SLC84-7 that's the device i am using 

--- Quote End ---  

Ah, so not an evaluation board then? Or if it is, it is an ancient one. The Altera UP2 had a EPM7128SLC84-7 device. 

An evaluation board is a good investment if you can afford one, since it makes it easier for others with the same hardware to share their designs. It also helps beginners like yourself learn good coding habits. 

That being said, your device can be programmed to contain a counter that can blink the LED, and do the other tasks you're interested in learning, so keep going! 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how I want it to work is when I press the increment pushbutton the number goes up by one and if I press the decrement pushbutton the number will go down by one.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can you help me start of guide me on how to start it this is what i got so far 

library IEEE; 

use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL; 

use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL; 

entity up_down_counter2 is 

Port ( CLK : in STD_LOGIC; 

DIR : in STD_LOGIC; 

LED : out STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 downto 0)); 

end up_down_counter2; 

architecture Behavioral of up_down_counter2 is 

signal clk_div : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (5 downto 0); 

signal count : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 downto 0); 

begin 

-- clock divider 

process (CLK) 

begin 

if (CLK'Event and CLK = '1') then 

clk_div <= clk_div + '1'; 

end if; 

end process; 

-- up/down counter 

process (clk_div(5)) 

begin 

if (clk_div(5)'Event and clk_div(5) = '1') then 

if (DIR = '1') then 

-- count up to 15 then stop 

while (count < 15) loop 

count <= count + '1'; -- count up 

end loop; 

else 

-- count down to 0 then stop 

while (count > 0) loop 

count <= count - '1'; -- count down 

end loop; 

end if; 

end if; 

end process; 

LED <= not count; 

end Behavioral; 

but this does not use pushbuttons how do i implement pushbuttons and without a timer
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to start out simpler than this. What you want to do should not really be implemented the way you're attempting to do it. I'm not saying you are wrong, merely that I would like to show you a way of implementing your design that will help you in the long run. 

For example, your clk_div logic is dividing the clock, and then the divided signal is being used as a clock. This is a bad way to design a circuit in an FPGA - at least it is a bad idea to start learning this way without understanding why it is bad. Good synchronous design uses a single clock (or as few clocks as possible, with clock-domain-crossing logic between clocks). Your circuit can be implemented using a clock divider, but the divider is then used to create an enable pulse for another counter. 

Go back to my original suggestion of driving your hex display directly with the MSBs of a counter (the github repo has examples), or go back to the guide you asked for at the beginning of this post. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos