Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

5 bit arithmetic with negative value

TWyar
Beginner

I am currently doing a project where I need to display the result of an arithmetic operation. Everything seems to go perfectly, however when I do an operation such as (+A) + (-B), my result is incorrect. For example, doing (+5) + (-3) is giving me a result of -14. Below is my code where I have the magnitude and sign (+/-) for 'a', 'b' and 'r' (result), as well as 'i' which I'm using to select the operation for each combination. The problem obviously stems from somewhere in the 'i' select that my condition is not being properly met, however it all makes sense to me. I would appreciate if someone would point me in the right direction. Thank you!

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; entity sm_arith is port ( a, b: in std_logic_vector(4 downto 0); add: in std_logic; r: out std_logic_vector(4 downto 0) ); end sm_arith; architecture arch of sm_arith is signal as, bs, rs: std_logic; signal am, bm, rm: std_logic_vector(4 downto 0); signal i: std_logic_vector(2 downto 0); begin as <= a(4); bs <= b(4); am <= a(4 downto 0); bm <= b(4 downto 0); i(2) <= not(add); i(1) <= as xor bs; i(0) <= '0' when am >= bm else '1'; with i select rm <= am + bm when "000", am - bm when "010", bm - am when "011", am - bm when "100", bm - am when "101", am + bm when "110", bm + am when others; rs <= as when am > bm else (bs xor i(2)); r(4) <= rs; r(3 downto 0) <= rm(3 downto 0); end arch;

**Update #1:**

After adding the numeric library and changing my i select to:

with i select   rm <= std_logic_vector(signed(am) + signed(bm)) when "000",   std_logic_vector(signed(am) - signed(bm)) when "010", etc.

I am still running into the same problem when B is negative and A is positive. This was fixed when I changed my unsigned library to signed, however I would run into a similar problem when my A was negative and B was positive. Eg, (-5) + (+3) = +14.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

I think it is working fine just confirm below things,

1. have you provided 2`s complement input stimulus for negative input?
  2. provide 'add' input stimulus & confirm the 'i' value since in logic it depends & decide the addition /subtraction , ensure it from simulation window.

i(2) <= not(add);

i(1) <= as xor bs;

i(0) <= '0' when am >= bm else '1';

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos
TWyar
Beginner

I figured out my problem. I just needed to switch the magnitudes from 5 bit to 4 bit.​

0 Kudos