Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Altera Cyclone 10 First chips

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, does any one knows when we will be able to get hands on Cyclone 10 chips ?  

We have project where this device will fit perfectly, since MAX10 is not big enough, and can't connect to 32b SDRAM 

Any road map when it will be available ?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

MAX10 is not big enough 

--- Quote End ---  

So, why look straight to Cyclone 10? There are plenty of other suitable devices, that are available. What do both Cyclone 10 and MAX 10 give you that Cyclone V doesn't? Small/midrange Cyclone V parts are quite a bit bigger than MAX 10... 

Intel will release a roadmap in their own time. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

faster LVDS, 32b SDRAM capability, hardware floating point, and so on.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was a bit taken aback that there is no Cyclone 10 SoC in the lineup, is it your experience that the SoC version of the line is announced later ?  

We were just considering moving our system from NIOS to ARM, so it would be nice to know if these will continue to be provided on the Cyclone line.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I was a bit taken aback that there is no Cyclone 10 SoC in the lineup, is it your experience that the SoC version of the line is announced later ?  

We were just considering moving our system from NIOS to ARM, so it would be nice to know if these will continue to be provided on the Cyclone line. 

--- Quote End ---  

It doesn't look like there will be a C10 SoC anytime soon (or ever). My guess is that Cyclone V SoC is still the low cost option if you need to use ARM
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It doesn't look like there will be a C10 SoC anytime soon (or ever). My guess is that Cyclone V SoC is still the low cost option if you need to use ARM 

--- Quote End ---  

What makes you think so ? 

We considered the ARM to do some run-time programmable low-speed (~100kHz) signal processing, for which, I think, the NIOS does not have enough speed, but which an ARM core could do. 

I think the Cyclone V SoC should be able to do that, but I am not so sure if this is a good solution for the next 5-10 years. It does not look like the Arria is even coming close in price, so we would have to consider other options. 

If there will be no updates, we could also consider other options.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I doubt there will be any new arm based SoC products since Altera was bought by Intel. Also, Altera SoC support has always been poor and late compared to Xilinx, and I dont think they really grabbed much of the market. Intel are now focussing solely on the high end market. I havent seen any new product roadmaps in anything other than Stratix and Arria, with a heavy focus on the Intel IceLake with embedded FPGA. 

So, if you really need a new SoC - go Xilinx
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera bought by ARM??????

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Altera bought by ARM?????? 

--- Quote End ---  

Pretty sure it is Intel :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, maybe I did some wishfull thinking when I read this: 

From www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1330325, 'Intel to Accelerate Altera, Says CEO': 

'Kraznich promised “no changes in existing or planned products” using ARM cores.'  

You think I should interprate this statement as: 

"The Stratix 10 SoC (introduced after Intel takeover) had already been planned, and Cyclone 10 SoC had never been planned ?" 

That would be a non-statement, as you are of course not going to yank the ARM out of existing chip designs.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Pretty sure it is Intel :) 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry, yes - I meant Intel - corrected.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

OK, maybe I did some wishfull thinking when I read this: 

From www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1330325, 'Intel to Accelerate Altera, Says CEO': 

'Kraznich promised “no changes in existing or planned products” using ARM cores.' 

--- Quote End ---  

We had the same comment from our distributor and our FAE. They say Intel is already a big user of ARM cores, and does plan to develop more FPGAs with ARM cores in the middle range. Only time will tell if this is true or if it's a marketing trick.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Let's say: The ARM is already on the die (of the 10 GX), it is only a marketing decision if it is offered to the customers ;) 

Talking about marketing: Does anybody already know how the pricing will be compared to other Altera families? 

Thomas 

www.entner-electronics.com - Home of EEBlaster and JPEG Codec
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For those who are interested: 

Our distributor seems to have some early Cyclone 10 LP devices. Mouser do list them as well: 

http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?ntk=p_marcom&ntt=193878041
0 Kudos