Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Arria II GX Obsolescence and Replacement

sveyland1
Beginner

Previously we were using FPGA Altera EP2AGX45DF29C5N in one of our products. Of course now it is obsolete.

According to information it seems possible to use EP2AGX45DF29C5G as a replacement, but according to the official data, this FPGA may differ significantly, but it is not very clear how exactly (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/ us / en / pdfs / literature / pcn / pdn1926.pdf).

So I am trying to understand if the C5G is a complete replacement for the C5N? Complete in all respects, meaning form, fit and function. If not, what are the differences and how to find the info because so far we have not been able to figure out by ourselves.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello, 

Hope you are doing well. I see that your device EP2AGX45DF29C5N is now obsolete. I see from PDN 1926 that EP2AGX45DF29C5G as the fully lead-free converted product. 

AminT_Intel_1-1626336084292.png

Below is sample order code if for you to understand your OPN specs: 

AminT_Intel_2-1626336516253.png

Customers are advised to migrate to part numbers compliant with the latest change in the EU RoHS Directive Exemption 15 (designated with a “G” suffix) . The “G” suffix part numbers use the same silicon, product specifications, and are generally form, fit and function equivalent to the “N” suffix part numbers. The only differences is the discontinued product use leaded solder bumps on the first level interconnect and the "G" suffix is the fully lead-free converted product. So yes, the EP2AGX45DF29C5G is the replacement of EP2AGX45DF29C5N.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
sveyland1
Beginner

Hello Amin,

Thank you for this response. The reason we have doubts is that additionally in the PDN1926 the part that you have written actually continues "...and are generally form, fit and function equivalent to the “N” suffix part numbers. Stratix III and Arria II GX (lidless) have changes to the package. Please refer to the notes section in the list of affected products."

So our original EP2AGX45DF29C5G is a Arria II GX (lidless) so there is comment here that there is some changes to the package, which to us means that the replacement EP2AGX45DF29C5N may actually not be form, fit and function. Further in PDN1926 there is no additional notes section to see if our replacement is affected by the changes to the package.

So this is why we are asking about the replacement. Can you help to clarify this doubt about possible changes to the package?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
sveyland1
Beginner

Hello Amin,

I was also trying to understand if it is possible to get any insight into the expect life cycle for EP2AGX45DF29C5G. 

We do not want to switch to the replacement if it will also be made Obsolete soon.

Is there any way to find out how much longer these parts will be produced so we can be confident in the ability to source the replacement part for the upcoming several years?

Looking forward to your response. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I am sorry but your product has long been discontinued so I do not have enough resources to check on your device. I am also unable to provide life expectancy for EP2AGX45DF29C5G as we do not have that information. However, we will keep update on PCNs, PDNs, and Advisories and I would suggest you to subscribe to our emailing list regarding PCNs, PDNs, and Customer Advisories: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/my-intel/mal-emailsub/technical-updates.html

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos