Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
19095 Discussions

Avalon streaming interface in HLS component can't connect to streams in streaming_dma_afu example.

RBash
Novice

Hi,

I'm trying to use the streaming_dma_afu included in the samples that come with Arria 10 cards, and replace the pattern checker and pattern generator modules with a simple HLS module. I'm using i++ Version 17.1.0 Build 240 and Quartus Version 17.1.1 Build 273, and my OS is CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810.

The HLS code is the following:

component void st_add(stream_in<unsigned int, usesPackets<true>, usesValid<true> > &in_st, stream_out<unsigned int, usesPackets<true>, usesReady<true> > &out_st, hls_stable_argument hls_avalon_slave_register_argument unsigned int offset) { for(unsigned int i = 0; i < 100; ++i) { unsigned int in = in_st.read(); out_st.write(in + offset); } }

After compiling the above code and using the IP generated by it in the Platform Designer system in the streaming_dma_afu example, I face the following errors:

Error: streaming_dma_test_system.m2s_dma_bbb.m2s_st_source/st_add_internal_0.in_st: m2s_dma_bbb.m2s_st_source has its first symbol in the high-order bit positions, but st_add_internal_0.in_st does not. Error: streaming_dma_test_system.st_add_internal_0.out_st/s2m_dma_bbb.s2m_st_sink: s2m_dma_bbb.s2m_st_sink has its first symbol in the high-order bit positions, but st_add_internal_0.out_st does not.

I can make these errors go away by checking the "First Symbol in High-Order Bits" box in the Signals & Interfaces tab under Component Instantiation tab in Platform Designer. However, when I want to generate HDL code for the system I get these errors:

Error: avalon_st_adapter.data_format_adapter_0: Unsupported adaptation: The input interface uses the empty signal. However, the output interface is not using the empty signal. Error: avalon_st_adapter.data_format_adapter_0: "Data Symbols Per Beat" (inSymbolsPerBeat) 64 is out of range: 1-32 Error: avalon_st_adapter_001.data_format_adapter_0: "Data Symbols Per Beat" (outSymbolsPerBeat) 64 is out of range: 1-32 Error: qsys-generate failed with exit code 1: 3 Errors, 26 Warnings

So my questions are:

1. Does changing "First Symbol in High-Order Bits" from Platform Designer affect the correct functionality of the system when a different option was specified in the IP itself?
  2. How can I fix the errors regarding empty signal and Data Symbols Per Beat for streams?
  3. Could these errors be due to the version of Quartus I'm using? I also know that HLS isn't supported on the OS that I'm using, but since the code compiled successfully I wanted to give it a try. Could this fact (lack of support for HLS on CentOS 7.6) be the cause of the errors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

May I request the example and steps to reproduce the error?

Thanks.

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

May I know if you have any updates?

Thanks.

RBash
Novice

Hi,

Yes, the problem was solved by using a sample code for generating AFU using an HLS component.

Thanks

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I believe your feedback is valuable to other customers.

Thanks.

ahaa
Beginner

May I know where could I get the example code of hls-afu?

Thanks very much!