Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20728 Discussions

BSP Generation Error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've tried to generate BSP using NIOS II 11.1 SBT for Eclipse (right click project ->NIOS II -> Generate BSP), but got the following error. 

==================================================== 

Error executing 'nios2-bsp-generate-files --bsp-dir . --settings settings.bsp', unexpected return code 1. 

Error message: 

SEVERE: Available BSP type values for the --type argument are: [hal, ucosii] 

SEVERE: nios2-bsp-generate-files failed. 

===================================================== 

Anyone who encountered this issue before? What's the cause of this error? How to fix it? 

Thanks and Regards, 

Den
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you specified --type to nios2-bsp-create-settings? Here is what documentation (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/nios2/n2sw_nii52016.pdf) for nios2-bsp-create-settings tool says: 

--- Quote Start ---  

--type <OS name>: BSP type. Use ? or types to list available BSP types for this option. Use names to list the display names of available BSP types. For a Nios II DPX system, always set this argument to lwhal. 

--- Quote End ---  

Types available in your setup seem to be either hal or ucosii. The first one stands for Altera's Hardware Abstraction Layer. The former is µc/os-ii (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/microc/os-ii).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Yocto, 

Thanks for the reply. 

The thing is the operating system I'm using is FreeRTOS. The bsp type is "freertos". 

Another issue I found is that when I tried to right-click the project, then go to "NIOS II" -> "BSP Editor". The following error message is displayed in the Problems tab of BSP Editor. 

==================== 

SEVERE: BSP type "freertos" unknown. 

SEVERE: NullPointerException 

============================= 

I think I encountered this problem when I replaced my software libraries ("Copy and Replace" the project folder) with the latest one. 

I already cleaned all the projects and rebuild, but I still encountered the problems indicated above. Note that no problems have been encountered whenever I build the project. It's just that I can't re-generate the BSP after compiling to a new system.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The error speaks for itself: 

--- Quote Start ---  

BSP type "freertos" unknown 

--- Quote End ---  

You have to use HAL. I am not sure if FreeRTOS supports HAL, you might need to port it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I finally managed to Generate the BSP using NIOS II 11.1 SBT for Eclipse. 

I just needed to copy the ff software packages to NIOS IDE: FreeRTOS, LWIP, HAL, as the software is based on Engineering Sprit'sFreertos-NIOS port. 

Thanks Yocto for help. 

Regards, 

Dennis
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi All, 

I finally managed to Generate the BSP using NIOS II 11.1 SBT for Eclipse. 

I just needed to copy the ff software packages to NIOS IDE: FreeRTOS, LWIP, HAL, as the software is based on Engineering Sprit'sFreertos-NIOS port. 

Thanks Yocto for help. 

Regards, 

Dennis 

--- Quote End ---  

Hey dennis, how did you managed to Generate the BSP ? 

i still don't see free_rtos in the operation system list when creating new BSP... 

thank 

Mor
0 Kudos