Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
19096 Discussions

BSP design and question about EMIF IP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am new to design FPGA. 

I have a PAC board with it's BSP. 

However, I still want to customize my own BSP. 

I follow the tutorial about how to make customized BSP. 

Here is my step: Have a copied of a10_ref BSP. Modified device.tcl device to 10AX115N3F40E2SG. (refer to PAC device.tcl) In board.qsys, acl_ddr4_a10.qsys, acl_ddr4_a10_core.qsys, Sync All System Infos -> Generate HDL -> Finish Modified pin assignment. (refer to PAC pin assignment, like PCIE, memory, refclk ...) In acl_ddr4_a10_core.qsys ddr4a EMIF IP General set memory clock frequency to 1066. ( I set to this because my board memory is DDR4 2133, and a10_ref use DDR4 2400) use recommanded PLL reference clock frequency Mem Timing set Speed bin to -2133 Sync All System Infos -> Generate HDL -> Finish In board.qsys kernel_clk_gen set REF_CLK_RATE to 100 config_clk set Explicit clock rate to 100000000 Sync All System Infos -> Generate HDL -> Finish In top.v reg config_clk; // because in a10_ref, it need 50MHz config_clk, and I only have 100MHz kernel_pll_refclk always@(posedge kernel_pll_refclk or negedge perstl0_n) begin if (!perstl0_n) config_clk <= 0; else config_clk <= ~config_clk; end  

However, the system will crash when I try to send data to external memory DDR4. I have upload the log file. 

It would be very helpful, if someone can tell me what's wrong. 

and I also have some question about EMIF IP. 

what should I set in General memory clock frequency? 

what should I set in General PLL reference clock frequency? 

what is Speed bin in Mem Timing? 

I know I have to assign a pin to pll_ref_clk, is this pin clock should match PLL reference clock frequency? 

and in a10_ref emif ip, it set memory clock frequency to 1200, and PLL reference clock frequency to 300MHz, 

I am not sure what clock it provide to pll_ref_clk, but in top.sdc file I see an assignment "create_clock -period 150MHz [get_ports pll_ref_clk]" 

So I guess it assign 150MHz clock when it set PLL reference clock frequency to 300MHz. Why it work?
0 Kudos
0 Replies