Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

BeMicro SDK

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I am using BeMicro SDK and went thourh all NIOS tutorial.  

Unfortunately I cannot see any tutorial or interface for Ethernet, RAM, and SD-Card. Even pin connection configuration for temperature sensor is wrong. ( both Input and Output connected to same pin).  

it being development kit, i guess buyer can expect basic driver for these modules.  

My question is, is there any interface available made by Arrow/Hexit for Etherent/RAM and SD-card.  

Regards 

DEsh
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi desh, 

I've successfully run the web server demo in the SBT for Eclipse which uses both the Ethernet and memory interfaces. The default FPGA configuration has pretty much everything on board except the SD card slot. However I believe that if you want to use the the mobile DDR or SD card in custom designs, you'll need the appropriate IP cores from third party vendors. Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi desh, 

I've successfully run the web server demo in the SBT for Eclipse which uses both the Ethernet and memory interfaces. The default FPGA configuration has pretty much everything on board except the SD card slot. However I believe that if you want to use the the mobile DDR or SD card in custom designs, you'll need the appropriate IP cores from third party vendors. Hope that helps. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Skaneta,  

Thanks for your reply. I am new to FPGA.  

Can you suggest me which file should i use to get Ethernet or RAM going. Or is there any documentation on getting started.  

Regards 

DEsh
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DEsh, 

If you install the Nios Embedded Design Suite, you get Nios II Software Build Tools (SBT) for Eclipse. Open it and select File -> New -> Nios II Application and BSP from Template. From there you can either run web server or simple socket server and it creates the project. 

I've only run the web server demo and if I remember correctly, the only change you will have to make is to the values that are normally stored in non-volatile memory like IP address and mac address. I hard coded them to make it simple. 

The configuration device on the BeMicro SDK already contains a configuration with the whole qsys system including a working DDR and Ethernet interface. Once you get the project compiled, you should be able to run it on that board directly. You'll need the sopcinfo file which should have come with the reset of the BeMicro SDK materials. You can't edit that file in Qsys but you can open it in a text editor to get an idea of what's in there. 

Good luck, 

Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

DEsh, 

If you install the Nios Embedded Design Suite, you get Nios II Software Build Tools (SBT) for Eclipse. Open it and select File -> New -> Nios II Application and BSP from Template. From there you can either run web server or simple socket server and it creates the project. 

I've only run the web server demo and if I remember correctly, the only change you will have to make is to the values that are normally stored in non-volatile memory like IP address and mac address. I hard coded them to make it simple. 

The configuration device on the BeMicro SDK already contains a configuration with the whole qsys system including a working DDR and Ethernet interface. Once you get the project compiled, you should be able to run it on that board directly. You'll need the sopcinfo file which should have come with the reset of the BeMicro SDK materials. You can't edit that file in Qsys but you can open it in a text editor to get an idea of what's in there. 

Good luck, 

Scott 

--- Quote End ---  

Many thank skaneta for the information. I will try this.  

It is a pity dev kit has not opened IP for the peripherals.  

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi desh 

SDK - not really....any way... the example web server works for a different board... a few modifications have to be made....  

See this post http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32429
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

sd card interface 

The SD Host Controller IP Core can be downloaded from: http://www.slscorp.com/ip-cores/memory/sd-host-controller.html
0 Kudos