Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Can I get the Alteras PCIe Windows drivers to run correctly without rebooting the PC when reconfiguring the FPGA?

TStad2
Beginner

According to the DE5-Net Manual provided with my Stratix V, I have to reboot the PC after reconfiguring the FPGA with the PCIe Reference Design in order for the drivers to work correctly. I want to integrate data transfer via PCIe to the FPGAs DDR3 in another project - this will involve a lot of testing around, and I would really like to avoid constant reboots.

This problem has come up in many threads, but I couldn't find any working solution for a Windows host. The following post asks a similar question, but the answer isn't really concrete. (https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyQ6eSAE/is-there-a-way-to-avoid-rebooting-pc-after-reconfiging-the-fpga-on-a-pcie-card?language=en_US)

On Linux hosts, it seems to be possible. One workaround seems to be to remove the PCIe device, rescan for new devices, and re-enable the device again. I tried the same on Windows 10, using devcon.exe. After the rescanning step, the PCIe device is listed again in the device manager. However, when I call PCIE_Open from TERASIC_PCIE_AVMM.dll from the provided PCIe SDK, I get a bluescreen with a System_Service_Exception.

I'd be thankful for any hints, as I am pretty new to FPGA programming.

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SengKok_L_Intel
Hi Sir, There is no any other window driver available. And yes, this is required to reboot the PC when you configure the FPGA, the root port need to enumeration and restart the link training to ensure the PCIe is working correctly. Regards -SK
0 Kudos