Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20957 Discussions

Cannot configure EPCQ256 component on Cyclone V E FPGA development board

Todd2
Beginner

Purchased this board from Terasic, but they have no solution for this issue, suggested I submit here.  Trying to program the EPCQ256 QSPI device on the Cyclone V E FPGA dev. board.  Schematic notes about changing R16 to R18 and R22 to R23 on pg. 8 of the C5E_DEV_KIT_B.pdf schematic were performed.  .sof file runs perfectly.  Tried creating either a AS or AS x4 .jic file in the convert programming file window.  Both attempts give the attached "message_window_093022.txt" file message.  Tried using Active Serial x1 and Active Serial x4 in Device and Pin options screen, and I get the same error messages as mentioned above.  Also tried with Max V(5M2210Z) connected to the JTAG chain and with it not in the JTAG chain.  The error messages are the same.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Can you check if the device part number selected in Quartus is 5CEFA7F31I7N? Also if the MSEL is in active serial mode?

0 Kudos
Todd2
Beginner

The device part number selected in Quartus is 5CEFA7F31I7.  See attached screen captures.

I configured MSEL as 10010 (Fast Active Serial) and 10011(Standard Active Serial) and I still get the same error message. See attached

screen capture of the Programming Message window.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Todd

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Can you try this?

[1] Set the TCK frequency of USB Blaster II to 6MHz

[2] Change the switches to default position on the board and SW1 to Active Serial setting?

0 Kudos
Todd2
Beginner

The USB Blaster II is onboard on the Terasic Cyclone V E FPGA development board and I am unfamiliar with how to control the TCK frequency from the Quartus Programmer GUI.  I went to the command line and ran "jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M" and it ran with no errors.  However, when I set the Factory Default switch configuration for all the switches and changed SW1 to Standard or Fast Active Serial, the JTAG auto-detect was not working in the Quartus Programmer GUI.  I changed SW2 to (HSMC JTAG Enable - ON) And JTAG auto-detect worked, and identified that the 5M2210Z and the 5CEFA7 were both in the JTAG chain.  I then went to the command line and ran "jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M" again, but I get the same "Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1"  Is there a way to program the EPCQ device directly using the command line tool using with this board?

Thanks for any additional help you can provide.

Todd

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

What was the previous board setting that you have?

You may use command line to do programming via JTAG. Please take a look at the quartus_pgm command in user guide:

https://www.intel.com/programmable/technical-pdfs/654662.pdf

Can you try to turn SW2.4 to on and SW2.3 to off?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos