Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
18978 Discussions

Cyclone 10 GX (10CX085F672) Device Clock input

sidsinha89
Beginner

Hello All,

I am starting to work with Intel FPGAs. I am currently preparing specifications for the new FPGA project. A part of it is to define pin assignment for the module.

In my design, I wish to have ~8 clock inputs. all these inputs are single-ended. I see in pin-out file that certain IOs are marked as Clk_2A_1p, Clk_2A_1n. I intend to use clk_2A_1p as my clock input to an internal ALTCLKCTRL block. Under this setup am I allowed to use the complimentary pin clk_2A_1n as IO or do I have to essentially leave it unconnected.

Also, same question goes for PLL_2A_CLK_OUT1p, PLL_2A_CLK_OUT1n. I intend to provide single-ended GTX clock to the respective PHY via PLL_2A_CLKOUT1p and to use PLL_2A_CLKOUT1n as IO

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It depends upon the I/O standard assigned to the pin. Bank 2A is a LVDS I/O bank, which supports single-ended I/O standards upto 1.8V.

Refer Intel Cyclone 10 GX Core Fabric and General Purpose I/Os Handbook. 

Section 5.4.3, I/O Banks Groups in Intel Cyclone 10 GX Devices,

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/vua1487061384661.html#rfl14877552...

and

section 5.1.1, I/O and Differential I/O Buffers in Intel Cyclone 10 GX Devices, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/vua1487061384661.html#sam14034819...

Also refer the device pin-out table for more pin information.

Regards.

sidsinha89
Beginner

Hello!

Thanks for the reply. I shall apologize for not clearly mentioning the relevant details.

All I/Os on FPGA are LVCMOS standard. No Differential I/Os. All banks (2J, 2K, 2L, 2A, 3A) shall be on 1.8V VCCIO.

Under these circumstances, am I right to conclude that I shall be able to use complimentary pins, for instance clk_2a_1n, as normal LVCMOS I/O while clk_2a_1p is used as clock input and connected to ALKCLKCTRL IP block?

Ash_R_Intel
Employee

HI,

Yes, you can use the n pin independently as a normal IO.

Regards.