Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Cyclone 10 GX Development Kit factory recovery issue

yong
Beginner

Hello,

I am having some issues to perform Cyclone 10 GX Development Kit factory recovery. I follow the instructions to restore the factory build (see the attached readme file from the kit collateral downloaded from Intel website).

After I programmed max10.sof (from the kit collateral) via Quartus programmer. The LED  D16 (green) and D13 (Red) are on, which indicates FPGA configuration failed. I am not sure if this is expected.

Then I execute BoardTestSystem GUI application. I got an error message "FPGA is not detected in the Jtag Chain.".

Can you please let me know what is wrong and how to solve the problem? Thanks!

The max10.sof and BoardTestSystem application are from the Kit Collateral Version A downloaded from Intel webpage:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/cyclone-10-gx-development-kit.html

Test screenshots are attached.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Good day

Welcome to INTEL forum. To narrow down this issue, may we know which Quartus version you use and your PC OS information?

0 Kudos
yong
Beginner

Hello,

The Quartus version I am working with is 21.1

My PC OS is Windows 10 Enterprise

I also tried Quartus 17.1 (which Kit collateral version A is designed for). The result is the same.

One more detail:  after max10.sof programmed successfully, the LED D16 and D14 are on indicating FPGA configuration in progress. After a few seconds, D14 is off and D13 (red) is on, indicating FPGA configuration failed.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. Could you try again the BTS test with Quartus Prime Pro 17.1. The manufactured board’s BTS was built with Quartus Prime Pro 17.1. Possibly the error it is caused by the difference in system console of different Quartus revisions. It is suggested to use the right Quartus version with the right dev.kit version.

After that, the default JTAG clock frequency is 24M. Could you try reducing the JTAG clock speed to 16M or 6M to see how things go.

0 Kudos
yong
Beginner

Hello,

I tried BTS test with Quartus Prime Pro 17.1. Actually I did everything with Quartus Prime Pro 17.1, including programming max10.sof and running BTS.

I also reduced the JTAG clock speed to 6M. The result is the same.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

To narrow down the issue. Could you provide

1) error result screenshot

Could you also reconfirm again to Set the board switches to the factory default settings.

Thanks

0 Kudos
yong
Beginner

Hello,

There is no error message in Quartus while programming .sof to MAX10. Everything seems ok (see the screenshots - pgm_MAX10_sof.png and pgm_MAX10_sof_msg.png). But LEDs on the dev board shows FPGA configured failed (D13 (red) is on) (see the attached pictures). Then when I execute BTS, a popup window shows "FPGA is not detected in the Jtag Chain".

Sometimes the first try fails (see screenshot - pgm_Max10_sof_err_msg.png, error message could be different, e.g., sometimes jtag chain error), but the 2nd try could succeed.

These are all I can observe.

I double checked the board switches are the factory default settings. However, for S3 setting, in the Dev Kit User Guide revision 20171218 (included in the collateral package) says default S3[2:1]=00; in the Dev Kit User Guide revision 20180815, it says default S3[2:1]=01. The physical board comes with S3[2:1]=01. I tried both, the results are the same.

Regard to JTAG TCK setting, I tested with 16M, 6M, 1M. The result are the same.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for your input. May we know, did the dev kit board can program C10 GX successfully in the past or this is new board that can’t program C10 GX at all ?

0 Kudos
yong
Beginner

Hi,

The dev kit board was working. I could program C10 GX successfully. C10 GX was able to be auto detected with Quartus Programmer tool. See the attached screenshot "auto_detect_success.png".

I was testing C10 GX ASx4 configuration from EPCQ Flash. After a test which possibly erased CFI flash attached to MAX10, (EPCQ flash was also erased intentionally for the test), then I am not able to program C10 GX anymore. Quartus Programmer tool can not auto detect C10 GX. Only MAX10 is auto detected. CFI flash attached to MAX10 is also not shown (which was shown before having the issue). See the screenshot "auto_detect_fail.png".

Then I am trying to perform factory recovery and come to the issue I reported on this thread.

You can also find some details on the other thread I posted earlier "Quartus Programmer fails to auto detect device on Cyclone10 GX Dev kit" at the link below:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Programmable-Devices/Quartus-Programmer-fails-to-auto-detect-device-on-Cyclone10-GX/m-p/1276055/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEtOVFdNN1lXSDJHWThQfDEyNzYwNTV8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M79766

0 Kudos
yong
Beginner

Hello.

Any suggestion to move the debugging forward? Do you need any other information/details from me?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. This most probably looks like board problem. We can help you to RMA the affected board. But before we do, we need to verify the board warranty first. Could you help provide the following for warranty checking?

Name:

Email Address:

Company/University Name:

Dev kit OPN :

Serial Number :

copy of invoice that shows time and date of purchase. And you can also reply/attach your file in private message.

0 Kudos
yong
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for help!

How can I send you private message? Is there an email address that I can send the requested information to?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

we send you a private message.

0 Kudos
yong
Beginner

Thanks for the support!

Requested information and copy of purchase invoice are sent to you through private message. Please check.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

We will be checking further with support/customer service team regarding the warranty. Thanks 

0 Kudos
yong
Beginner

Thanks! Please let me know if there is any update.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We send you a private message. Thanks

0 Kudos
yong
Beginner

Thanks for reminding! I replied to the private message.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for update. Please give me some time to check and open RMA request ticket.

0 Kudos
yong
Beginner
0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello Sir

Thanks for your update and patience. We have opened a ticket regarding you issue. Contact local authorized Intel Distributors near you to request RMA together with the following information. Distributor link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html         

a) Development Kit S/N : 10CGX0001216

b) IPS ticket No. 00623727

0 Kudos