Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Cyclone 10 LP : VCCA Voltage

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All! 

I have a new design with Cyclone 10 LP family. I would like power the VCCA pins to 3,3V, but is not clear to me if it's possible. 

In the "Cyclone 10 LP datasheet", C10LP51002 Table 1, says "Absolute Maximum .." for VCCA 3.75V. 

In the "Cyclone 10 LP Pin Connection Guidelines", PCG-01021 Table 5, says "VCCA[1..4] You are required to connect these pins to 2.5 V, even if the PLL is not used...". 

The question is, It's allowed connect VCCA to 3,3V?. 

Thanks in advance. 

Peio
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Recommended is 2.5V for VCCA. 

If you use Absolute Maximum Rating you may face reliability issues or damage the chip permanently at long run which is not recommended. 

Both will work fine functionally,It is good engineering practices to design a circuit which operates in operating condition to achieve the characteristics listed in the specifications. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Anand, 

Is good engineering practices writing clear datasheets, with min/typ/max specifications, not confusing with unclear comments in another different document.  

3.3V is far from the 3.75V maximum specified, so operate at 3.3V is operating in the characteristics listed in the specification, with big margin. 

The question is, Can I connect VCCA to 3.3V?. 

Peio
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Which document referring? 

I have checked device data sheet and pin connection guidelines. 

In which document it tell to use 3.3V? 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

peio, 

The documentation seems clear to me; 

C10LP51002 Table 1, says "Absolute Maximum .." for VCCA 3.75V. --- This means that a voltage above 3.75V will harm the device 

PCG-01021 Table 5, says "VCCA[1..4] You are required to connect these pins to 2.5 V, even if the PLL is not used...". --- This says you are REQUIRED to connect VCCA to 2.5V.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Seems to be clear, thanks gj_leeson.

0 Kudos