Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20639 Discussions

Cyclone II Obsolete part replacement

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there a pin compatible part replacement for Cyclone II EP2C20F256C6 part?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

EP2C20F256C6N (the lead free version) is still in production and stocked at catalog distributors. There's no pin compatible replacement in newer FPGA families.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

EP2C20F256C6N (the lead free version) is still in production and stocked at catalog distributors. There's no pin compatible replacement in newer FPGA families. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for quick reply. My main concern is developing for this device. is Quartus going to continue supporting this chip, assuming we pay for a license?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks for quick reply. My main concern is developing for this device. is Quartus going to continue supporting this chip, assuming we pay for a license? 

--- Quote End ---  

Cyclone II support is only available up to Q13.0sp1. While it will not receive any development (as it is 4 years old) you can continue to use it on a machine with a full licence.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Cyclone II device families are in mature phase and they are still NOT recommended for new designs. You may subscribe to the customer notification mailing list for the notification of Altera devices when it is going to be discontinued: 

https://www.altera.com/support/quality-and-reliability/pcns-and-advisories.html 

For new design application, I would recommended you to look for other new alternative Cyclone devices such as Cyclone IV or Cyclone V device families: 

https://www.altera.com/products/cpld/max-series.html 

Best Regards, 

irishling 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos