Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

Cyclone IV GX Transceiver Starter Board, Clocks & Ports issue with HDL Coder (MATLAB)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

i'm new in this forum but i have a problem to configure the HDL Workflow Advisor from MATLAB with the information from my FPGA (EP4CGX15BF14). 

In the attachement you can see a picture of the hdl workflow advisor and the fields i have to fill in. I don't use the MEX II, just the Cyclone IV GX FPGA. 

I have no idea after which clocks and ports i have to search in the manual (you can see the manual in the attachemnt). 

I am very thankful for help or some tips. 

best regards 

Niko
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

The attached image is low resolution. Could you attach high resolution version? Another option is zipping the image file and uploading it to here.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

thx for the information. 

I added a zipped folder with the picture. Mostly i am interested in the clock and reset input ports/pins. Maybe i can not read the manual correctly but i am not sure if the ports/pins in the HDL_Workflow_Advisor.png  

are correct because i can't find pins just for the FPGA. 

best regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can find pin information called pin-out on altera.com. 

Go https://www.altera.com/products/fpga/cyclone-series/cyclone-iv/support.html 

Click 'Device Pin-Outs' 

Click 'Cyclone IV' 

Search 'EP4CGX15' and click Pin-Outs (XLS) 

Your device 'F14' package has 169 pins, so refer to column F 'F169'. I hate this translation :(  

Accoding to the spreadsheet, M7 pin is located in Bank B4, the function of the pin is CLK14 or DIFFCLK_6p. This is the best choice for clocks. I always uses differential I/O standard for clocks to avoid unexpected behavior caused by glitch on the clock, so I use DIFFCLK_*p pins. 

D10 is a general I/O pin, it should be good. 

R1 and R4 cannot be found in the spreadsheet. They must be changed to proper pin locations. 

I hope this helps you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This helps me a lot. 

Many thanks! :)
0 Kudos