Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20684 Discussions

Cyclone V Thermal Power Dissipation and Heat sink

Sahil_Honeywell
New Contributor I

Hi, 

I am using Cyclone V FPGA 5CEBA5F23C7 in my deign. Based on my design compilation I found that total thermal power dissipation is 638mW (with Low power estimator confidence) while my logic utilization is 31% (other compilation summary details attached). 

So my question is does 638mW looks a considerable value of thermal power dissipation for such a design. I don't have a Modelsim license to generate .vcd file (to improve power estimator confidence) and the code is more than 10000 lines so I cant use Intel-Modelsim starter edition.

Kindly help!

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Try exporting you information to EPE. In Quartus, Project  --> Generate Early Power Estimator File.

Import this file into CV EPE. It is easier to change your parameters from the xls sheet.

Example: Change the parameters accordingly to best match your cooling solution. Change all your static signals to 0 toggle rate, etc. 

0 Kudos
JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos