Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

DDR4 HILO in S10MX failed initialization

XNguy4
Novice

I am using the qts_hilo_ddr4_x72_1066MHz sample project to test the DDR4 HILO in the Stratix 10 MX development kit. I didn't change anything, except upgrading the project from Quartus 18.1 to Quartus 19.4.
After downloading the SOF file in the board, I used SignalTap to observe the signals and realized that DDR4 HILO controller module always returned local_cal_fail = 1.

Screenshot from 2020-03-13 16-01-38.png

Please find the sample project attached and let me know how I can fix the issues.
Thank you very much,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ybin
Employee

Hello,

Below action can be implement to see if anything help.

1. You can use the original qts to test, no need to update.

2. Lower the EMIF clock frequency to 933Mhz.

3. Disable address/command calibration step one by one shown as below.

ybin_0-1595559678841.png

0 Kudos
XNguy4
Novice

Hi @ybin ,

Thank you for your response.

1) I am using Quartus pro 19.4 in our system. The HILO module will need to be integrated into our system later. Therefore, I don't see any reason to downgrade the Quartus from 19.4 to 18.1 just for testing for memory module.

2) The example design is using 1066 MHz. Does lower EMIF clock to 933 MHz mean the example design was not correct?

3) The example design already disabled that setting.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ybin
Employee

Hi,

To lower the frequency is just to have a test, to see if lower frequency is effect.

To disable/skip address/command calibration step is to enable the highlight setting. Pls make sure you follow it. If all the 3 actions you are implement, please let me know the result.

0 Kudos
XNguy4
Novice

Hi,

Lowering the frequency to 933 or 933.3333 caused error as shown below

Screenshot from 2020-08-07 09-07-26.png

I also made the test with 

- Skip address/command leveling

- Skip address/command leveling & deskew

None of them works.

Screenshot from 2020-08-07 09-39-42.png

Screenshot from 2020-08-07 10-07-30.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
ybin
Employee

Hi,

I check the development kit bts setting, I find that the type of DDR4 is UDIMM. Can you check your board's DDR4 type from the part number? To see if it's the same as BTS setting.

BTW, you compiled BTS and test it, not just use the sof from the download package, Is that right?

0 Kudos
ybin
Employee

Hi,

Besides the question I mentioned before, below two points need to check:

1)  Do  have any physical inspection being performed on DDR4 hilo card? Ensure you plug in the DIMM properly to avoid bad pin contact issue.

2) Please offer either dev kit or DDR4 hilo card serial number.

0 Kudos
ybin
Employee

Another action:

If you have another board which works well. You can swap the DDR4 DIMM, to check the issue is related to board or DDR4 DIMM.

0 Kudos
s10M
New Contributor I

Hello @XNguy4 ,

I am facing a similar problem with my MX devkit, and I was wondering if you managed to resolve this issue.

If so, I would really appreciate if you could advise how you fixed it. 

Thank you so much- much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
ybin
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos