Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerome
Novice

DMA freezing ?

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make a simple design on my Intel Dev Kit MAX10 with the NIOS 2, DDR3 sdram controller and the DMA.

I write directly a pattern into my memory (1Gb in 64Mb*16) via NIOS 2 and DDR3 sdram controller, then I read back if it's well written (which is the case). And finally try to move one halfword (16bits) to another location an read again but I can't read...

I think everything is well setup in my Platform designer but then when I use the DMA to transfert data (I use registers, not HAL-drivers), I can't read back the memory...

Here is my config for the DMA :

while(IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE) == 0x02); //If DMA transaction is in progress then wait   IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE, 0x0);   IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_RADDRESS(DMA_BASE,0x0); //specifies the first location to be read in a DMA transaction   IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_WADDRESS(DMA_BASE,0x2); //specifies the first location to be written in a DMA transaction   IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_LENGTH(DMA_BASE,2); //specifies length (in Bytes) of transfert   IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x038A); //WCON, RCON, LEEN, GO, HW to 1   while(IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE) == 0x02);   IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x0);

Thanks for your help !

PS : if you have any example of how to use the DMA (with registers, I've also tried with HAL-drivers but I wasn't able to make it work ^^') It will be really appreciated... I looked into UG embedded IP and NIOS 2 software developer's handbook but there's no example with registers...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jerome
Novice

So,

I've found my trouble...

while(IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE) == 0x02); //If DMA transaction is in progress then wait IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_RADDRESS(DMA_BASE,0x0); //specifies the first location to be read in a DMA transaction IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_WADDRESS(DMA_BASE,0x2); //specifies the first location to be written in a DMA transaction IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_LENGTH(DMA_BASE,2); //specifies length (in Bytes) of transfert IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x038A); //WCON, RCON, LEEN, GO, HW to 1 while(IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE) == 0x02); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x0);

and then, was just pre-configuring control register before transaction...

while(IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE) == 0x02); //If DMA transaction is in progress then wait IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x0382); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_RADDRESS(DMA_BASE,0x0); //specifies the first location to be read in a DMA transaction IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_WADDRESS(DMA_BASE,0x2); //specifies the first location to be written in a DMA transaction IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_LENGTH(DMA_BASE,2); //specifies length (in Bytes) of transfert IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x038A); //WCON, RCON, LEEN, GO, HW to 1 while(IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE) == 0x02); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x0);

View solution in original post

3 Replies
NurAida_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir,

You can refer to Chapter 3 (page 37) on this "UniPHY Design Tutorials" for Qsys (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_tut_qdr.pdf). They have used DMA in the system.  The design example targets the Stratix IV FPGA development kit which includes a 16-bit wide, 1-Gb Micron MT41J64M16LA-15E 667-MHz DDR3 SDRAM component but it is helpful to get an idea on how everything should works.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Thanks

Regards,

NAli1

Jerome
Novice

Hi NALi1,

Thank you for your answer, that will be helpful I hope. I'm looking at the PDF. I'll be back soon if that's work ! :)

Best regards,

Jerome.

Jerome
Novice

So,

I've found my trouble...

while(IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE) == 0x02); //If DMA transaction is in progress then wait IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_RADDRESS(DMA_BASE,0x0); //specifies the first location to be read in a DMA transaction IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_WADDRESS(DMA_BASE,0x2); //specifies the first location to be written in a DMA transaction IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_LENGTH(DMA_BASE,2); //specifies length (in Bytes) of transfert IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x038A); //WCON, RCON, LEEN, GO, HW to 1 while(IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE) == 0x02); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x0);

and then, was just pre-configuring control register before transaction...

while(IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE) == 0x02); //If DMA transaction is in progress then wait IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x0382); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_RADDRESS(DMA_BASE,0x0); //specifies the first location to be read in a DMA transaction IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_WADDRESS(DMA_BASE,0x2); //specifies the first location to be written in a DMA transaction IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_LENGTH(DMA_BASE,2); //specifies length (in Bytes) of transfert IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x038A); //WCON, RCON, LEEN, GO, HW to 1 while(IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE) == 0x02); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_STATUS(DMA_BASE, 0x0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_DMA_CONTROL(DMA_BASE, 0x0);

View solution in original post