Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20721 Discussions

Data transfer between Cyclone V GX Starter Kit and PC

Hamathon
Beginner

Hello,

FPGA newbie here. I'm trying to create an interface between my PC and my Cyclone V GX Starter Kit (https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=165&No=830&PartNo=2). The dev kit has a USB UART 232 port and I was able to successfully build a UART interface using intel's RS232 IP (streaming Avalon type) just so I have an understanding of how basic interfaces are created. However, the baud rate max (115200 bauds) is too slow as I am looking for 1+ MB data transfer rate. I'd like to ask if anyone has any recommendation as to how I can accomplish this goal using the ports on my device?

What I'd like to ideally do is to be able to send a 16 bit data stream, such as a PC generated Sine wave using Labview software to the FPGA and to send 16 bit data back from the FPGA to the PC. It'd be best if I can do this as simply as possible (e.g. not have to use NIOSII etc.).  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FvM
Valued Contributor III

PI'm commonly using 920 kbaud UART interface between PC and FPGA for test and configuration tools because it's the fasted standard rate supported bei PCs or e.g Bluetooth adapters. Non-standard RX oversampling factors, e.g. 13 instead of 8 or 16 are helpful to operate the UART with usual clock frequencies like 24 or 48 MHz.

Frank

P.S. Forgot to mention that FT232R supports up to 3M if you need higher speed, but it needs special programming on the PC side to set the non-standard rate. FTDI has suggestions how to achieve it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello, 

If you are expecting > 1Mbps kind of interface, UART might not suitable for this. You may want to explore higher speed interface like I2C or SPI. 

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

PI'm commonly using 920 kbaud UART interface between PC and FPGA for test and configuration tools because it's the fasted standard rate supported bei PCs or e.g Bluetooth adapters. Non-standard RX oversampling factors, e.g. 13 instead of 8 or 16 are helpful to operate the UART with usual clock frequencies like 24 or 48 MHz.

Frank

P.S. Forgot to mention that FT232R supports up to 3M if you need higher speed, but it needs special programming on the PC side to set the non-standard rate. FTDI has suggestions how to achieve it.

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos