Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20920 Discussions

Does Cyclone IV GX F324 package supports SATA 1.5Gbps?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am a newbee in this forum. 

I am now thinking to use Cyclone IV GX device to interface with SATA 1.5Gbps Device. So, I have read through the documentations related to Cyclone IV GX, and have understood that Cyclone IV GX supports SATA interface. But, according to "Table 1-1. Serial Protocols Supported by the Cyclone IV GX Transceiver Channels" in the Cyclone IV Device Handbook Volume 2, F324 and smaller packages does not support any SATA interface. The transceiver in F324 package should support up to 2.5Gbps. I hope it means F324 package does not support SATA 3Gbps, but does support only SATA 1.5Gbps. 

Does anyone know if F324 package supports 1.5Gbps SATA interface? 

Thank you for your supports.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know the specific issue with the F324 package and SATA. It may just be since the bonding of that package doesn't support the 3.0 speed they have that item unchecked. 

I know several years ago when implementing a SATA Core from Inteleprop, they mentioned in passing there was in issue with the transcievers on Cyclone IV that made it impossible to fully support the SATA Standard on the family.. I believe you could get it to work, but it could not do all the standard features.. (I think it was with clock spreading) (We used the Stratix IV and it worked fine) 

On their website they do mention the Cyclone IV GX as supported however. 

(http://intelliprop.com/hardware-storage-design/ip-cores/sata-host-core.htm

I would check with your core vendor to see if they have any specific issues with the family before proceeding. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Pete, 

Thank you for your comment. 

We just have to transfer some big data between a PCB designed by us and generic SSDs. Both of them are going to exist in a product. 

In other words, the SATA interface will never appear out of this product. I mean it has not to strictly conform to SATA specification. 

Nevertheless, I had better confirm there is the specific issue with F324 package and SATA.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the handbook it seems to say that F324 package does not support SSC. I believe this is why F324 does not support SATA 1.5G.

0 Kudos