Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

FPGA (Cyclone IV E) new project after a long break

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone! I am new on this forum :) 

I have a problem. 

Once (quite a long time ago) I had a module from embedded systems and FPGAs during my studies but unfortunately I do not remember anything anymore. 

Now, however, I must go back to FPGA. I installed Quartus. 

I tested a little. In the case of very simple projects, I would probably be able to do something. 

What I want to do, however, has one element that goes beyond what I did even in college. I never referred to memory in Quartus (or at least I do not remember). I intend to use Cyclone IV E in my project. Someone could tell me how to use memory in Quartus projects? 

I mean the elementary functions "only read to one address" or "only write to one address". There are many possibilities at Quartus. There are a lot of blocks for these functions <- most of the extended ones. 

Anyone could advise something? 

Thank you so much for help!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't understand. You mean you want to use the on-chip memory blocks? You can either add them as an IP from the IP Catalog or infer them in your Verilog or VHDL code. Maybe you can clarify what you mean here.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. 

At the start I want to use the memory on the chip. 

In Quarus, there are some features and I have not seen the typical ones: "only read from one address" or "only write to one address".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Memory is addressable. You pick the address you want to read from or write to. Do you mean like a FIFO?

0 Kudos