Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20789 Discussions

FPGA the answer to Propeller's limited graphics?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am looking to create some screens via composite video similar the the attached picture. I have been working with a Parallax Propeller and its just not getting the job done in the graphics area. I am told that FPGA is the way to go. Is this correct? What eval board and software do I need to get this done? I also need to be able to get the FPGA chips for my own boards when the time comes. Any futher advise to someone just getting into FPGA? 

Thanks 

Jason
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The eval board you would probably most be interested in would be this: 

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyc3-embedded.html 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is all software needed with that kit that I'd be able to start doing nice graphics gauges with right away? Ive have done all of the Picbasic, Basic Stamp, Propellor, and VB.net stuff. Should this be pretty easy for me to dive into? Also, should I like the way that the eval kit works, are the same fpga chips available for purchase to use on my own pcb's? 

Thanks much for the help. 

Jason
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The FPGA chips are certainly available. 

As far as the software goes, the kit comes with demos from several different 3rd party vendors. You would need to pick the one you're interested in and then see if there is an evaluation license available from that 3rd party vendor. I do know for example that the DAVE graphics demo can be obtained for evaluation (because I have it here). 

Most of these live in the C/C++ world so as long as you're comfortable with that and have a basic understanding of graphics concepts and libraries, you should be fine with the software side. 

FPGA development on the other hand is a whole different world. You are designing the hardware essentially and you'll have to develop an understanding of FPGA design. 

Jake 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Am I the only one thinking it may be overkill to use FPGA's to display gauges on a LCD screen? There surely must be some dedicated processors that could do this more efficiently...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah if it were me, I'd be looking at an OMAP processor from TI. 

Jake
0 Kudos