Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Flash size selection for the S10TX2800 device configuration

MuralikumarM
Beginner
Hi, I want to select the flash part for the configuration of intel STARTIX10 TX 2800 device, as per device data sheet table 104 shows 577Mbits for the bitstream in compressed form. what are the consideration for the flash part selection and, how to confirm the size regarding information of configuration flash for the mentioned device. thanks and regards MuralikumarM
0 Kudos
1 Solution
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hey MuralikumarM.

Perhaps I should say like this. The maximum total size indicated in the document consists of everything including firmware (ELF) and bitstream. The actual size varies depending on design such as the usage of NIOS and etc.

Thanks

Bruce

View solution in original post

5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

First of all, you may refer to the user guide below for the maximum bitstream for particular devices:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/s10_datasheet.pdf#page=113

Say you are choosing Stratix 10 GX10M, the flash memory that you are choosing should be higher than 654 Mbits.

For configuration devices, you may refer to link below for recommended configuration devices:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/programmable/configuration-device.html

regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
MuralikumarM
Beginner
Hi @Bruce ,
Thanks for your response.
As per the data sheet i got the bitstream size.
But my doubt is, for the configuration flash, bitstream alone is not a firmware executable right?.. there may be some more files for HPS also. I am new to this SOC and learning, so if anything wrong you can correct me..

Thanks and regards
Murali kumar M
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Murali kumar M,

Yes, for the firmware file (.elf), it is not part of the bitstream. You will need to program that after bitstream is downloaded.

Thanks and regards

Bruce

0 Kudos
MuralikumarM
Beginner
Hi Bruce,

If that case, what will be the total size of all files required that I should load into my device?.

From where I can get the approximate file sizes except bitstream..??

Thanks
MuralikumarM
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hey MuralikumarM.

Perhaps I should say like this. The maximum total size indicated in the document consists of everything including firmware (ELF) and bitstream. The actual size varies depending on design such as the usage of NIOS and etc.

Thanks

Bruce