Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20932 Discussions

Found different JTAG ID code when we replaced FPGA "5AGXMB1G4F35C5N"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I am Rohit Jain from Mumbai, India. I have recently purchased few FPGA "5AGXMB1G4F35C5N" from KMEX Electronics Ltd., Chiba, Japan. I am using this FPGA on one of our audio-video multimedia system PCBA.  

In one of our PCBA, the above mentioned FPGA was found faulty, so we replaced it with a new one purchased from above vendor and it was successful (Image 1, attachment) 

We had one more faulty PCBA, we tried to replace another FPGA from the same lot purchased from same vendor (Image 2), it was showing the following error, when we were about to program through one SOF file " Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x02A130DD for device 1, but found JTAG ID code 0x02A160DD". I have attached the picture for the error showing at my system (Image 3) 

Can you please help me why this error is coming for this particular FPGA, while another FPGA from the same lot and same date code works fine, what can be the possible error in it, please let me know. 

Also, can you please let me know if you have a online chat for discussing this problem. 

Regards 

rohit jain 

mumbai, india 

ph. +91-9322111770 

email : rohit.jain@monarchinnovative.com 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you should contact the vendor to see further clarification. The JTAG ID is something not user accessible.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera often use the same JTAG ID for multiple devices. This seems to be becoming more common with more device families and variants being brought to the market. Engineering samples often deliberately have different JTAG ID's to the production parts. 

However, Altera don't use multiple JTAG ID's for the same device - what you're seeing. 

Can I assume you reliably read the same - incorrect - JTAG ID from the board? This isn't an intermittent issue? Perhaps the least likely explanation given the nature of the misread JTAG ID, but manufacturing faults do show up in strange ways. 

Could this be a device that failed manufacturing test? These devices have been known to make it onto the market. Follow up with the supplier that supplied the parts. Could these parts have come off the grey market? 

Is this design registered with Altera? If so, I'd get in touch with your local Altera FAE and ask them to follow up with Altera. In fact, I suggest you get in touch with them anyway. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. 

I am already in followup with vendor who has supplied these IC's to me. I am waiting for his reply. 

Can you tell me how i can contact Altera ?? 

Is there any live support of Altera.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can get support via myaltera (https://www.altera.com/myaltera/). Sign up for an account if you don't have one. However, if you have a local FAE or sales representative I recommend you go through them. 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Note that you would need to use a valid company email to register for the MySupport account before you can file a service request.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Contact the vendor that you have purchase the board from since this is not Altera board. The vendor should debug on their board first before contacting mySupport.

0 Kudos