Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Fractional N PLL implimentation in IP possible on Cyclone V and max10?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys.  

So I have a dedicated PLL chip that can phase lock an output clock of tens of Megahertz to an input clock of tens of Hertz, or million fold, using fractional N PLL.  

Simple dividers will cause too much jitter at these multiplications, and divide by N PLL are necessary.  

It's a great chip but I'm wondering if the same can be accomplished in an FPGA such as the Cyclone V or Max10 with the new Mega_Wizard. Let's say I want to phase lock a PPL output clock at 50MHz. to an input clock of 50Hz. - it looks like this kind of performance may be possible based on the information here: https://www.altera.com/products/fpga/features/stxv-fpll.html , but i'm not sure.  

Thank for your help.  

Cheers, 

Bob
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Cyclone V supports PLL input clock range of 5MHz to 670MHz. 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_51002.pdf 

Max10 V supports PLL input clock range of 5MHz to 470MHz. 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/m10_datasheet.pdf 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Anard. Thanks for your reply.  

So I guess that means I would have to build the rest of this 50Hz. to 50MHz. PLL myself, on the FPGA, from logic. 

I'm assuming this is possible as I have a chip that can do it. Should this be possible with ALtera FPGA and tools. Thanks for your help. 

Cheers, 

Bob
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Yes you can have your own logic for your design. 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, Anard.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It will take more than logic to build your 50Hz to 50Mhz PLL. Not achievable within an FPGA IMHO.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, gj_leeson.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

For all FPGA PLLs/DCMs, there are a set of input/output frequencies defined. The PLLs can accept clocks within this frequency range and generate outputs also within the specified range. I'm not sure if they work in the Hz range though. Most of them work in the MHz ranges (5MHz to 550MHz). So, if you have a 50Hz clock on the board, you may need to use an external PLL of some sort that can work with the range you want.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks eapenabrm. I have a dedicated chip for this function, and had hoped i could construct the same or similar logic in Cyclone or Max with or without some external components.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

PLLs are largely analogue, not digital. You cannot build a PLL out of digital logic alone, which means you can't build one on an FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

PLLs are largely analogue, not digital. You cannot build a PLL out of digital logic alone, which means you can't build one on an FPGA. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, TCWORLD. I thought so.  

I imagine a solution would require interfacing through FPGA I/O to external circuit for analog elements - i think i've read about such circuits that take advantage of FPGA logic with an external circuit component to the function. This is the idea i have in mind.  

For the sake of example, lets say i am able to connect an external circuit to Max10 I/O pins to create an 'inboard/outboard' PLL for the Max to access, thereby minimizing outside world and possibly lowering noise. I haven't had a lot of experience with FPGA but this seems like a good idea. does this make sense? I'm pondering whether i could even build a fractional N function into this 'inboard/outboard' PLL...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a hard time imagining how you could use some simple analog off chip circuitry to raise the frequency of your clock from 50 Hz to 5MHz in order to use the PLL. I guess that you could have a succession of selective filters that would work on harmonics but I wouldn't call that solution simple, elegant, or low noise/jitter, if it can even work in the first place. 

If you already have a solution with an external chip that works well maybe you should keep it. 

It may be a stupid question but why do you need that in the first place? Couldn't you use a normal crystal oscillator and use logic to synchronize to the 50 Hz input instead? Do you really need that clock to be exactly 10^6 times the frequency of the input clock?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have a hard time imagining how you could use some simple analog off chip circuitry to raise the frequency of your clock from 50 Hz to 5MHz in order to use the PLL. I guess that you could have a succession of selective filters that would work on harmonics but I wouldn't call that solution simple, elegant, or low noise/jitter, if it can even work in the first place. 

If you already have a solution with an external chip that works well maybe you should keep it. 

It may be a stupid question but why do you need that in the first place? Couldn't you use a normal crystal oscillator and use logic to synchronize to the 50 Hz input instead? Do you really need that clock to be exactly 10^6 times the frequency of the input clock? 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, Daixiwen. I'm sure you're right about just using the chip solution i have. Creating a soft IP version of the chip for FPGA is not my first task. Just something that occurred to me.  

Yes, i need to sync 10^6 for my application. I'm interested in your idea - use a normal crystal oscillator and use logic to synchronize. It sounds hopeful, but i'm not sure it will work for my application - can you elaborate or point me to a reference? I'm interested in all ideas. Thanks for your help. 

I need locked at the 10^6 input, but absolute phase not necessary - for every single cycle at 50Hz. i need 50M evenly spaced cycles. Phase locked also acceptable. 

Cheers,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you use a normal oscillator you could for example count the number of clock cycles during one full period on the 50Hz signal. Then you can use software to compensate any timing measurement/synchronization you do, based on that clock cycles count. 

But it really depends on your application and how accurate you need to be. If you really need those 10^6 cycles then I think your only solution is to use an external pll.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This sounds like a video application to me, genlocking to a 50Hz source. I've used a Cypress CS2100/2300 for this in the past.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This sounds like a video application to me, genlocking to a 50Hz source. I've used a Cypress CS2100/2300 for this in the past. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, gj_leeson. I am using the 2300 version of that series. Great chip. I'm using it for master clock MCLK to codec 24bit 48KHz.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you use a normal oscillator you could for example count the number of clock cycles during one full period on the 50Hz signal. Then you can use software to compensate any timing measurement/synchronization you do, based on that clock cycles count. 

But it really depends on your application and how accurate you need to be. If you really need those 10^6 cycles then I think your only solution is to use an external pll. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, Daixiwen. Is there a name for this type of circuit function?
0 Kudos