Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

Generic Serial Flash Interface IP Problem: In BSP Editor the Linker Memory Region for flash Missing

CycloneFA
Beginner

In my Design I use the Cyclone 10GX 10CX105YF780E5G FPGA together with the Micron MT25QU512ABB1EW9 Flash chip.

I want to use the Intel Generic Serial Flash Interface in my design to be able to access the flash from within the NIOS II C Code.

I Downloaded the Design example (Generic Serial Flash Interface and Nios II booting ), changed the FPGA from Cyclone5 to 10GX 10CX105YF780E5G and upgraded all the platform designer components to the Quartus Prime Pro Edition 19.1(The version I am Currently using). I also imported the design examples Nios Project and bsp project. But I did not change any further settings. The NIOS II Processor Reset Vector is still located under the intel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top_0.avl_mem with a offset of 0x00f00000 (Reset Vector Absolute adress = 0x2f00000). The Generic Serial Flash Interface IP's Control Register:(under hidden parameters) is still 0x00000101.

Before generating hdl in the platform designer, I opened the bsp editor (witch opened the generic_flash_access.sopcinfo file that came with the design example). Under the "linker script" tab there are the following Linker Memory Regions:

onchip_memory2_00x04040020 - 0x0407FFFFonchip_memory2_026211232
onchip_memory2_0_BEFORE_EXCEPTION0x04040000 - 0x0404001Fonchip_memory2_0320
intel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top_0_avl_mem0x02F00020 - 0x03FFFFFFintel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top_0_avl_mem1782576015728672
reset0x02F00000 - 0x02F0001Fintel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top_0_avl_mem3215728640
intel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top_0_avl_mem_BEFORE_RESET0x02000000 - 0x02EFFFFFintel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top_0_avl_mem157286400

But after I Generate HDL... and open the bsp editor again the following errors appear:

• SEVERE: .entry section mapping not created because reset memory region not located at base address: 0x2f00000
  • SEVERE: [Error] altera_hal_linkerx_generator: The section mapping ".entry" is missing.
  • SEVERE: [Error] altera_hal_linkerx_generator: Required linker section mappings do not exist: "[.entry]"

Also the following Linker Memory Regions disappeared: intel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top_0_avl_mem, intel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top_0_avl_mem_BEFORE_RESET and reset. 

Pressing Restore Defaults... did not help.

Changing the Generic Serial Flash Interface IP "Device Density" to 512, for the MT25QU512ABB1EW9  flash and regenerating hdl obviously did not fix the errors either.

I think for some reason the new generated "generic_flash_access.sopcinfo" file does not have the Memory Device "Iitel_generic_serial_flash_interface_top_0_avl_mem" and then those Linker Memory Regions cannot be created.

How can I fix this?

When setting the NIOS II Processor Reset Vector to onchip_memory2_0 with a offset of 0x00000000 everything works and I can program the VHDL and c code with the jtag. I can read and write to the flash, everything works. But then off Corse I cannot boot from flash(Because of Reset Vector...), witch is pointless.

Is Quartus Prime Pro Edition 19.1 / Cyclone10 not compatible with Generic Serial Flash Interface IP?

Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CycloneFA
Beginner

Hi.

I have found the problem and solution, see:

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/embedded/2020/severe--cpu--cpu--reset-memory--qspiflashavlmem--has-no-matching.html 

Quoted from above link:

"

SEVERE: CPU "cpu" reset memory "qspi_flash_avl_mem" has no matching memory region

Description

Due to a problem in the Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition software version 20.1 and earlier versions, you may see below errors when creating a new NiosII® software project if NiosII®’s reset vector is set to a Generic Serial Flash Interface IP:

SEVERE: CPU "cpu" reset memory "qspi_flash_avl_mem" has no matching memory region.

WARNING: Tcl script "bsp-set-defaults.tcl " error: CPU "cpu" reset memory "qspi_flash_avl_mem" has no matching memory region.

SEVERE: [Error] altera_hal_linkerx_generator: Required linker section mappings do not exist: "[.entry, .exceptions, .rodata, .rwdata, .text, .bss, .heap, .stack]"

SEVERE: [Error]altera_hal_linkerx_generator: Required linker section mappings do not exist: "[.entry, .exceptions, .rodata, .rwdata, .text, .bss, .heap, .stack]"

SEVERE: nios2-bsp-create-settings failed.

Workaround/Fix

This problem has been fixed in the Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition version 20.3."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @CycloneFA,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope this message find you well.
Apologies for the late response, suspecting that the issues seems to be on reset vector memory that has been changed to from onchip memory and the HAL project has become obsolete. (more details can be found here in the 'Linker Map Validation' section)
I might suggest perhaps that you can try to rebuild the BSP to see if that will solve the error, you may refer to the following steps here.

Warm regards.
BB

0 Kudos
CycloneFA
Beginner

Hi.

I have found the problem and solution, see:

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/embedded/2020/severe--cpu--cpu--reset-memory--qspiflashavlmem--has-no-matching.html 

Quoted from above link:

"

SEVERE: CPU "cpu" reset memory "qspi_flash_avl_mem" has no matching memory region

Description

Due to a problem in the Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition software version 20.1 and earlier versions, you may see below errors when creating a new NiosII® software project if NiosII®’s reset vector is set to a Generic Serial Flash Interface IP:

SEVERE: CPU "cpu" reset memory "qspi_flash_avl_mem" has no matching memory region.

WARNING: Tcl script "bsp-set-defaults.tcl " error: CPU "cpu" reset memory "qspi_flash_avl_mem" has no matching memory region.

SEVERE: [Error] altera_hal_linkerx_generator: Required linker section mappings do not exist: "[.entry, .exceptions, .rodata, .rwdata, .text, .bss, .heap, .stack]"

SEVERE: [Error]altera_hal_linkerx_generator: Required linker section mappings do not exist: "[.entry, .exceptions, .rodata, .rwdata, .text, .bss, .heap, .stack]"

SEVERE: nios2-bsp-create-settings failed.

Workaround/Fix

This problem has been fixed in the Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition version 20.3."

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @CycloneFA,

Good to know you have found a workaround for this and appreciate you sharing the solution, we would be closing the thread. If you have further queries, Please do post a response in the next 15 days.
After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

Warm Regards
BB

0 Kudos