Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Help how to Mapping HPS IP Peripheral Signals to the FPGA Interface

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm reading the application note found at : https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an706.pdf 

I have a DE1-SoC board. I want to send the data to the PC trought the ethernet interface, on the DE1-SoC board the ethernet interface is from the HPS. I'm tried to read this document but I'm lost in that pdf and I didn't found any example. 

I think that I have to use the TSE IP but I don't know how can I do. 

Anyone can help me? 

Best regards 

Gianluca
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Gianluca, 

i don't exactly understand what's your problem, but when you want to map the pins from the emac0/1 periphals from the hps to the FPGA you have to do the following: 

1.) In Qsys you have to edit the hps component. In the periphial pins tab -> EMAC0/1 pin you have to select FPGA. Then generate the HDL Files. 

2.) Assign the pins like it is described in AN706. 

3.) Run a full compilation 

4.) Update the prelaoder section, how do you do this is described at rocketboards 

5.) Run the board with the new fpga image 

Best regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Gianluca, 

i don't exactly understand what's your problem, but when you want to map the pins from the emac0/1 periphals from the hps to the FPGA you have to do the following: 

1.) In Qsys you have to edit the hps component. In the periphial pins tab -> EMAC0/1 pin you have to select FPGA. Then generate the HDL Files. 

2.) Assign the pins like it is described in AN706. 

3.) Run a full compilation 

4.) Update the prelaoder section, how do you do this is described at rocketboards 

5.) Run the board with the new fpga image 

Best regards 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes this is exactly what I have to do. Before start to route the EMAC1 I try with a simple example that consist in drive a HPS_LED from the fpga and this example work properly. 

I'm trying to follow the AN706 but I don't understand how I can connect the data from the Triple speed ethernet IP to the emac signal. 

In the page 10 of the AN706 on the datasheet it says that these pins pht_txd_o [3: 0] must be connected to PO_TX port [3: 0] but the PO_TX of the TSE IP is also an input. I'm doing something wrong? 

Have I to use the triple speed ethernet IP in order to send data on the ethernet? 

If you do not pick and use the FPGA from EMAC1 LOANIO function when I perform the synthesis I get an error because some pins, such as the TX or RX are unidirectional, but when I use the LOANIO are inout. 

I'm trying different ways, can anyone help? 

Best Regards 

Gianluca
0 Kudos