Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

Hi, I´m using a Cyclone 10 (10CL040YU484I7G) in a new design can I pull-up this pins CRC_error and INIT_DONE to a 5V rail

MFerr15
Beginner

INIT_DONE is a open-drain and in the Pin connection guidelines says that

"When using this pin, connect it to an external 10-KΩ pullup

resistor to an acceptable voltage for all devices in the

chain that satisfies the input voltage of the receiving

device. When not using this pin, it can be left floating or

tied to GND"

The Input voltage receiver in my design is 5V, can I pull-up this pins to a 5V rail?

And for the CRC_error pin is state the same as for the INT_DONE.

INT_DONE is a Open-drain and the CRC_ERRO is only I/O Output

Best Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

These open drain pins can accept input voltages below the absolute maximum rating (Vi) for the device family.

For cyclone 10 LP it is 3.6 volts do we have to use some external circuitry to archive it.

Refer table 3 for vi value.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-10/c10lp-51002.pdf

Regards

Anand

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Absolute Vi max for this family is 4.2V for pins, so the simple answer is no you cannot connect these pins to 10K pullups to 5V without causing possible device damage.

You will need some circuitry (diodes, resistive divider, voltage conversion buffer) to connect your 5V device input to what is basically a 3.3V compatible I/O.

Depending on your 5V device technology a pullup to 3.3V may, or may not, produce an acceptable high level. If it is 5VTTL, yes; if it is 5V CMOS, likely not.

Google '3.3 v to 5v level conversion circuit' there are lots of documented ways to do this with both off the shelf devices or discrete circuit components.

AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

These open drain pins can accept input voltages below the absolute maximum rating (Vi) for the device family.

For cyclone 10 LP it is 3.6 volts do we have to use some external circuitry to archive it.

Refer table 3 for vi value.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-10/c10lp-51002.pdf

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos