Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20623 Discussions

High Speed Communication Switch on MAX II EPM240

Nitin_1
Beginner

Hi,

I am new on CPLD and FPGA development.

I have to make EtherCAT switch with two inputs and one output.Input selection would be based on "Physical button press" by user.

can anyone suggest if MAX II EPM240 would work for this use case or do i need some other variant of CPLD. (in light of High speed communication on I/O)

1. Two inputs of EtherCAT are running on 100Mbps. (Preferred 1Gbps), Input selection would be based on "User button press"

2. EtherCAT PHY would be taken care by Beckhoff Chipset.

CPLD  is used only to avoid cable interchange manually.

3. Are there any limitations on I/O for these high speed signals?

ex: Speed , voltage level 

so on each power cycle as per user button state - "EtherCAT Input" routed to "EtherCAT Output" automatically. to me it seems feasible with low end CPLD device also.

Regards

Nitin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I hope you are doing well. Is EtherCat the third-party IP? If yes, we do not have information to help you out on that. The maximum input of a pin depends on the I/O standard of your design and you can refer that from this document: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max2/max2_mii5v1.pdf

I hope this helps. Thank you

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos