Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

How can I read button presses through the Avalon bus?

Gabe
Beginner

Hello,

I have been trying to create a simple Avalon-MM Master to read from a PIO slave (push buttons), however I am reading only 0's on the readdata line.

Relevant code:

wire [31:0] master_0_master_address; wire master_0_master_read; wire [31:0] master_0_master_readdata; reg [1:0]currentState; reg [1:0]nextState; reg [31:0] data; reg [31:0] address; reg read; assign master_0_master_address = address; assign master_0_master_read = read; assign led11[3:0] = ((reset_reset_n == 0)) ? 4'b1111 : (data[3:0]); always @ (*) begin if(~reset_reset_n) begin data <= 32'b0; nextState <= 2'b0; end else begin case (currentState) 2'b0: begin address <= 32'b100000; read <= 1; if(master_0_master_waitrequest) nextState <= 2'b10; else nextState <= 2'b1; end 2'b1: begin read <= 0; data <= master_0_master_readdata; nextState <= 2'b0; end 2'b10: begin if(master_0_master_waitrequest) nextState <= 2'b10; else nextState <= 2'b1; end endcase end end always @ (posedge clk_clk or negedge reset_reset_n) begin if(~reset_reset_n) currentState <= 0; else currentState <= nextState; end

And the Qsys system:Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I'm guessing that the signal names preceded by "master_" are your interface signals because I don't see a port list for your component. Is that correct?

Have you tried just leaving read enabled all the time and just do reads on waitrequest going low?

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
Gabe
Beginner

Yes, the signals preceded by "master_" are my interface signals. I have somehow managed to get it working. However, I have noticed some weird behavior: No matter the address I place on the master_0_address line, the state machine reads the pushbuttons' data register just fine. But if I add another PIO slave (LEDs) to the project, assign addresses, and then generate the files, then my code does not work anymore - I get 0's again. Seems like the issue is with slave addressing.

When I add the second PIO slave, Qsys assigns 0x0000_0000 to the pushbuttons, and 0x0000_0010 to the LEDs. To read from the pushbuttons' data register, I do master_0_address <= 32'b0. I am not sure if I need to add an offset to the address shown in Qsys or.. According to this document, the data register comes first, so there is a 0 offset to the address shown in Qsys.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos