Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
19348 Discussions

How to Calculate Pixel Buffer Size for Varying Kernel Sizes

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I downloaded the Sobel filter design example for FPGA. This runs perfectly for a 3x3 kernel, however when i try to change this to a 5x5 or 7x7 kernel the output images are no longer as expected. I think I have pinpointed this problem to the pixel buffer in the code, shown below. 

// Pixel buffer of 2 rows and 3 extra pixels  

int pix_buff[2*COLS+3];  

// Initialise pixel buffer 

int count = -(2*COLS+3); 

while (count != iterations) { 

// Each cycle, shift a new pixel into the buffer. 

// Unrolling loop allows compiler to infer a shift register. 

# pragma unroll 

for (int i = 2*COLS+2; i > 0; --i) { 

pix_buff[i] = pix_buff[i - 1]; 

pix_buff[0] = count >= 0 ? frame_in[count] : 0; 

.....processing...... 

Basically, why is the buffer 2*COLS+3? I tried increasing this value, and the results vary significantly as I do so, which leads me to believe this is the issue at hand. have tried this with varying masks, and may I also note that the brightness tends to vary significantly with increases/decreases in the size of this buffer. 

If someone could show me how the 2*COLS+3 value was obtained, and how I may possibly calculate the necessary pixel buffer for 5x5 and 7x7 kernel sizes, so that I can begin to get meaningful results, that would be very helpful. I have attached two images to this thread, one with a pixel of buffer of approximately 10*COLS(dog772) which is much brighter and one for approximately 11*COLS(dog77) which seems to be closer to original image brightness. Note - these are supposed to be sharpening kernels of size 7x7, however I have similar issues with Sobel filter. 

Kind regards 

OK
0 Kudos
0 Replies