Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

How to access Stratix 10 AS configuration pins in user mode?

SOdin1
Beginner

Is there a way to access Stratix 10 AS configuration pins (SDM_IO*) in user mode, e.g. after device configuration via JTAG?

The goal is to program SPI flash with custom image through FPGA bypassing SDM.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Sergei,

To access to flash during user mode, you will need to initiate Serial Flash Mailbox IP in your design. To do so, you may refer to the user guide at link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/kcn1519199783802.html

Thank You.

0 Kudos
SOdin1
Beginner

Hi SooY,

thanks for the answer.

However, "The Serial Flash Mailbox Client IP sends commands to the secure device manager (SDM) in the Intel® Stratix® 10 device."

My question is it possible to access AS configuration pins directly from the FPGA, not through the SDM, like it is possible in the other device families.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Sergei,

May i know are you using the configuration pin to do configuration right? if it so, then you will need to use this IP.

In Stratix 10, all the configuration will need to go through SDM in order to perform it Thus, sending command to SDM using this IP is definitely correct.

0 Kudos
SOdin1
Beginner

Hi SooY,

I assume "configuration" means programming of an FPGA device. "Configuratio pin" is the pin that is/can be used during configuration of the FPGA.

I would like to use AS configuration pins, the pins that FPGA uses during AS configuration.

But I do not want to use these pins during configuration. I want to use them when FPGA device is already configured with mine design, meaning I want to connect part of my design to these pins. It is possible in other Intel/Altera FPGA devices, but I don't find a way in Stratix 10 devices.

I understand, that in Stratix 10 these pins are connected to the SDM, and there is Serial Flash Mailbox Client IP that I can use to program SPI flash. But I would like to have an alternative way, which doesn't involve SDM or anything at all between my design and SPI pins.

Is there such a way for Stratix 10 family devices?

Thank you in advance :)

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Sorry sir, all stratix 10 involves with SDM. When you talk about configuration pin, which pin are you refering to?

You may refer to our pin connection guidelines to see if any of the pin can be used as I/O pin during user mode.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/dp/stratix-10/pcg-01020.pdf (Page 7)

If it can be used as normal I/O pin during user mode, you may freely connect your design to these pin.

0 Kudos