Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

How to add several of the same IPs (UARTs) to Qsys automatically?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

In another thread I asked if there was a limitation on the number of components (IP) in Qsys and I was told there was not. So now I created a test project to see how many UARTs I could add to it and I quickly realized that I don't want to add say 50 or 100 UARTs manually to Qsys. The UARTs will have the same settings except for the name. 

Is there a way to add and connect (clock, reset, external conduit) 50 or 100 UARTs to Qsys automatically? This is for MAX V or MAX 10 devices. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Write a TCL script. Create a simple system with e.g. 1 UART, then use the "Save_script.tcl" script to get an idea of what you need to produce, and then write your own script. 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/qsys_scripts
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You won't be able to fit 100 uarts in a CPLD. Depending on what your needs are, you might be better off with something like a Cyclone V FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You won't be able to fit 100 uarts in a CPLD. Depending on what your needs are, you might be better off with something like a Cyclone V FPGA. 

--- Quote End ---  

MAX 10 has up to 50K LE and I believe a UART uses less than 200. So there is quite a bit of capability before you need a Cyclone.
0 Kudos