Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

How to boot and decrypt RBF for Arria 10 using non-volatile key (Fuse) ?

AALDH1
Novice

hello

i can boot and decrypt RBF if i program the ekp file (voltile key ), but i need it to decrypt using the fuse which i already programed to the board.

thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi AALDHI1,

When you mention boot, is it related to Arria 10 SOC ARM booting?

May I know how do you program the ekp file for non-volatile key?

and also, can you describe how you program. boot and decrypt the ekp forvolatile (the success one)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
AALDH1
Novice

yes i am using HPS , after i generated the ekp file i convert it to .jam file and programed it using this command "quartus_jli -c 1 key.jam -aKEY_program"

but the system after i boot it up keep resting unitle i program the voltile key using "quartus_jli -c 1 key.jam -aKEY_CONFIGURE " then it will decrypt the RBF and will boot the Linux kernel .

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi AALDH1,

May I know which USB blaster you are using?

There two things you can try here:

1.Can you try to performed “quartus_jli -c 1 key.jam -aKEY_VERIFY”. 

This to unsure the FPGA key is programmed correctly. Refer to table 16 in AN556,

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an556.pdf#page=25

2.May I know how do you generate the rbf file? I suspect that the rbf file generation is setting it to volatile key.

For 20nm FPGA (Arria 10), both volatile and non-volatile key can exist in a device.  User can choose which key to use by setting the option bits in encrypted configuration file through the Convert Programming File tool or the Qcrypt tool. 

I suspect your issue, it is always trying to read the key from volatile. you need to change the option bit that it is reading the key from non-volatile key. Refer to table 4 in AN556,

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an556.pdf#page=5

I hope this will help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AALDH1
Novice

Thank you for help .

0 Kudos