Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

How to install SD Card and ethernet at uClinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have just installed uCLinux at Altera DE2-115 (FPGA BOARD), I have full access to the terminal, the things that happen:I want to set an IP and also MASK for my eth0, when I do "ifconfig" it only shows me: 

lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  

there is no eth0 or eth1, and there are two ethernet ports, the eth0 have a ethernet cable plugged in (fully working with internet and lan network).why there are no eth0 or eth1? 

also: when I want to mount my SD-card Drive I do the following: 

mkdir /mnt/sd mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sd 

and I get: 

mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /mnt/sd failed: No such device or address 

as if there was no SD Card device... in my dev folder there are the followings: 

mmc0 mmcblk0 mmcblk0p1 mmcblk0p2 mmcblk0p3 

and I have tried mounting with every single one of them, also the SD Card Drive supports FAT16 and that is the file system Iam using at the moment on my SD Card. 

What can I do to be able to access the ethernet "eth0" and/or "eth1", and SD Card?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For ethernet, run "ifconfig -a" to see the other adapters you are looking for "eth0 and eth1". If you do not see them, you have to enable ethernet in "make menuconfig" option. If you do see them there, just configure them using something like "ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up" etcetera. You can find lots of info on this. You will also need to settup a default gateway and such. 

For SD Card, similar story. Go on "make menuconfig" and ensure that you have enabled MMC/SD support but do NOT set it as a module "[M]". i am having a particular problem where if i enable the mmc/sd card support as a module it does not work but if i just set it directly with [*] then it works.... does anybody reading this know why this is? 

By the way, you can automate the way SD card gets mounted by creating and editing "fstab" file, inserting this "fstab" file in your ROMFS by modifying the Makefile inside ..Altera/nios2/, and editing your RC script to run the modules and such.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Problem Persists, also it has made it worse, after I remade the zImage I can't get nios2-terminal poped up once again, it gets stuck at this: 

nios2-terminal: connected to hardware target using JTAG UART on cable 

nios2-terminal: "USB-Blaster [5-1]", device 1, instance 0 

nios2-terminal: (Use the IDE stop button or Ctrl-C to terminate)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Okay, I solved to problem that makes me stuck. 

But still I can't mount my SD Card, I gave up on ethernet, I only want SD Card now.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am trying to get the SD Card mount and have my mmc/spi [*], but I am not seeing the follow boot up message 

mmc_spi spi2.0: assuming spi bus stays unshared! 

mmc_spi spi2.0: assuming 3.2-3.4 v slot power 

mmc_spi spi2.0: sd/mmc host mmc0, no dma, no wp, no poweroff 

My next question would be on my pin mapping. Is this pin map correct for the spi 3 wire?? 

SD_DAT[0] --> MISO 

SD_CMD <-- MOSI 

SD_CLK <-- SCLK 

SD_DAT[3] <-- SS_N 

I tried to mount it with no luck 

/> mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt 

mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /mnt failed: No such device or address 

I read post to add the follow lines into the top level design. I tried to add them but compiled with errors, so I am not sure what I have to do, and if anyone know, please kindly let me know. 

.MISO_to_the_mmc_spi (SD_DAT), 

.MOSI_from_the_mmc_spi (SD_CMD), 

.SCLK_from_the_mmc_spi (SD_CLK), 

.SS_n_from_the_mmc_spi (SD_DAT3) 

Thanks in advance for any help I get from anyone.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can someone please help me? I still unable to get the SD card mount and I still don't see the mmc_spi spi2.0 message when boot up.

0 Kudos