Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

How to put the elf file (NIOS compilation file) to separate non-volatile memory?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I have make a simple program with NIOS. I also have successful to flash the elf file by "combining the elf file and sof file" so the program can stay permanently in the chip. My question: Is it possible to flash the elf file (hex file) to separate non-volatile memory chip? so i can freely to flash my hex file to non-volatile memory chip without combining the elf file and sof file? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

With the Nios II flash programmer, you can put whatever files you want on the external flash. I'm not sure I know what you are referring to about combining the .elf and the .sof.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

With the Nios II flash programmer, you can put whatever files you want on the external flash. I'm not sure I know what you are referring to about combining the .elf and the .sof. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

You can refer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofaxly-rue to getting further about integrating elf and sof. 

What type the non-volatile memory that you used? do you have any schematic that combine non volatile memory with FPGA chip? sorry to ask you many question since iam fully newbie about this thing. 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos