Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

How to set timing constraint to uart

XQSHEN
Novice

uart is  used as interface of external device. And this device has it's owner clock. When doing timing constraint, should I set uart rxd and txd as false path? or setting timing constraint using virtual clock? or  just set max delay?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

You may constrain the I/O signal max and min delay with reference to the virtual clock and any timing exceptions if applicable. You may refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/mnl_timequest_cookbook.pdf (Page 9 I/O Constraints)

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
XQSHEN
Novice

as there is no directly between FPGA clock and external device clock, how do you define the max or min limit?

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Do you mean there is no direct relationship between the FPGA clock and external clock? Could you elaborate?

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
XQSHEN
Novice

Yes. They are two individual device using uart to communicate. 

FPGA ------uart---------external device(wifi module).

0 Kudos
XQSHEN
Novice

1. FPGA has its own clock

2. Wifi module has its own clock

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

If they are asynchronous, you may set false path or set multicycle if they are synchronous.

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos