Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

I have a problem on the Cyclone V with CVP failing with a CVP_CONFIG_ERROR error on the second update cycle.

jmelv
Novice

I can initialize the core image after power on and I can update it once. The next update fails with a CVP_CONFIG_ERROR. The only way to clear the problem is to reboot.  The Cyclone V GT development board behaves the same way. Why would this happen and is there a way to reset and try again without having to reboot.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, Could you provide me more information how you performed the 2nd update? Are you only performed CvP update on the core image only?
0 Kudos
jmelv
Novice

​Yes, on the core image.  The same software function is called each time.  This is a PCIe x4 Gen 2 board using a flash device to configure the periphery at power up then loading a .rbf file for initialization and update.  The first and second load of the core always works, the third always fails.  The flash and the rbf file are not compressed or encrypted.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, May I know if you are using Gen 2 when performing CvP update? The reason is that Cyclone V does not support CvP update using PCIe Gen 2. Could you try to lower down it to PCIe Gen1 when performing CvP? You may refer to https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/fb125216_cv.html.
0 Kudos
jmelv
Novice

​Hi John,

I am not using CVP update mode, I am using CVP Initialization mode and doing a core image update.  The CVP initialization works, so does the first core update.  I know the link is set to Gen2 on the first core update since I can operate the board at the Gen2 rate before and after I do the update.  It's the second core update that fails but nothing leading up to that update is different than the first one.  The documentation says I should be able to update the core image without having to reboot.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, If you are using CVP Initialization only then you will not be able to performed second core update. In order to performed subsequent core update then you will need to enable the CVP Update features. Without this then you will not be able to performed subsequent CORE update. Please be aware that subsequent core update will not support Gen 2.
0 Kudos